Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 24-07-2008 , 01:30 AM

Pick up local coordinates

Hello,

I've placed a locator in relation to an object of my scene (this object has its own coordinate system) and I would like to know how to pick up the coordinates of this object in the local coordinate system (not world coordinates).

I want to do that because I want then use these coordinates in a MEL program to place the locator in relation to the object whatever the position of the object is in the scene...

Thank you

EDIT : Orthography...

Last edited by barbe_bleue; 24-07-2008 at 03:53 AM.
# 2 24-07-2008 , 02:55 AM
Senior Software Developer
The center of the poly primitives is 0,0,0, but this will be reletive to the world co-ords with its origin on 0,0,0.

So if a cube 5,5,5 will have is local origin at 0,0,0 but in world it would be at 0,2.5,0. How to get MEL to pick this up would be getting the co-ords of the vertices. The cube would have 8 verts 4 top and 4 bottom each occupying its own space.

Enough theory... Have a look at this link:

https://www.robthebloke.org/mel/DATA_mesh.html

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)