Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 31 09-06-2003 , 07:50 PM
Subscriber
Thanx kevin, i did noticed that i will make the edges harder as i tweak more verts. I looked at some real APCs (Armoured Personal Carrier), and the are angled to ensure bullets will bounce off. I used a lattice to change the shape, did a bunch more minor tweaking, and added a snorkel (air intake) so it is more ATV-ish (all terrain Vehicle).

And also when it goes to "hover mode" the jets will come out like this.

Certainly looks a little more mean.

Attached Thumbnails

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 32 09-06-2003 , 08:05 PM
Wow. That is great. I better get to work.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 33 09-06-2003 , 09:20 PM
Kevin
yes ..thats certainly improving mate - how bout some kind of device on the front? maybe a ramming rod?

# 34 09-06-2003 , 09:37 PM
hey...I luv the wheels. gimme this 360' tut please

# 35 10-06-2003 , 02:10 AM
Subscriber
DrkNow- thanx, you should get to work i lie seeing everybody elses as much as i like making the model. That way yall keep me inspired.

Kevin - Yes great idea, i'll have to play with some things, maybe similar to the big metal tubes found on trucks, suvs, and brians jeep = O

Eagle - You simple make a hubcap, then make a poly strip, in the shape of the tire of a few treads. Then move the origin/rotate point of that object to the hubs exact center. the duplicate with rotation and the number of duplicates and amount of rotaion (on the axis the hub would turn...)

hold on this is hard to explain lemme post some pics

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
# 36 10-06-2003 , 02:17 AM
Subscriber
setup a poly plane like this around you're hub.

Attached Thumbnails

# 37 10-06-2003 , 02:23 AM
Subscriber
drag some vertz around yo!

Attached Thumbnails

# 38 10-06-2003 , 02:30 AM
Subscriber
extrude some faces, and move the rotation point to the exact center of the hub

Attached Thumbnails

# 39 10-06-2003 , 02:36 AM
Yea, I have been out of town nearly all of this month and have only had about 2 hours of free time to model.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 40 10-06-2003 , 02:41 AM
Subscriber
heres an example of the duplicate options, please PLAY AROUND WITH Rotation AND NUMBER OF COPIES!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

# 41 10-06-2003 , 02:51 AM
Subscriber
tweak mo yerts! wen they "join together" then combine polys and merge verts.

Attached Thumbnails

# 42 10-06-2003 , 03:37 AM
Subscriber
oh crap, i think i forgot to have a specific enviroment for my vechicle, instead it is all terrain, is that extreme enough? Mine is an APC/ATV/Hover vehicle.

MODS will i be get a lower score so to say than a vehicle specifically designed for, lets say ICE?

This is how i see it, i just want to make sure that this won't come up last minute:
It is extreme to say the least. And I say has a specific purpose. This is transporting people through any type of enviroment, with the ability to EVEN hop a big wall, river, or a minefield if it wanted too! The ability to get something from anywhere to anywhere is a very useful and specific task.

Last edited by Vectorman; 10-06-2003 at 03:44 AM.
# 43 10-06-2003 , 05:34 AM
Subscriber
i played with texture a bit, heres a close up of the Air Intake so it can go deep into water.

Attached Thumbnails

# 44 10-06-2003 , 05:42 AM
Subscriber
Hmmm thats weird, my nurbs don't look the same as they did before i rendered. Why is it reducing the nurbs display level when i render???

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Vectorman; 10-06-2003 at 05:48 AM.
# 45 10-06-2003 , 06:27 AM
Subscriber
Hey Vectorman - you need to select all your NURBS and go to Windows>General Editors>Attribute Spreadsheet. Click on the Tesselation tab and there you can play with the advanced tessellation attributes. The other thing you can do is just select a NURBS surface and open the Attribute editor. Under Tessellation you can play with advanced tessellation or or just choose Medium or High Quality for a preset improvement.

A good resource is the Gnomon free tutorial on tessellation.

https://www.the-gnomon-workshop.com/t...sselation.html

Tessellation is the process by which a computer converts NURBS surfaces into triangular polygons at render time.

The one thing you missed in the tire tutorial is that after you play around with the degree of rotation and number of duplicates, once you get it almost perfect if you snap the front vertices of the original polygon shape to the back of a duplicate, then erase the duplicates and reduplicate your poly shapes will line up perfectly. At this point all you have to do is select all your tire surfaces, go into component mode, select all the vertices and go to Polygons>Edit Polygons>Merge Vertices at a distance of 0 (also default) and you will have one poly tire shape.

One more note is that if you already know how many degrees your tread cross section will take up you can build it from a wedge shape of that angle.

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>