Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 25-01-2010 , 02:33 AM

3d character with live footage

Hi, I am kind of new to using Maya. I have a 3d character I made in Maya and want to incorporate him with some live footage. I can have the character appear in the foreground, that is in front of everything in the video, but how can I make him appear as if he is behind something? An example may be a person walking past the 3d character and they appear in front while the 3d character is behind them. Any ideas, suggestions, or tips would be helpful. Thanks. -Willa

# 2 25-01-2010 , 03:05 AM
EduSciVis-er
That will be most easily achieved with a compositing program like After Effects, Nuke, Fusion or similar. You'll need to rotoscope a mask around the foreground element. Hopefully that gives you an idea of what you need to do.

# 3 25-01-2010 , 05:55 AM
So I would need to import the 1)video footage and the 2)completed 3d character from maya as separate files into a package such as After Effects and do the rotoscope then? Or is there a different approach? I hope I understand you correctly. If not, could you tell me briefly the correct order I would go about trying to do this? -willa

# 4 29-01-2010 , 05:36 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
its easier said then done first i think you need to catch up on the basics have you gone through after effects tutorials then also go through abit of maya live by then you will have a great idea on what you need to do

# 5 30-01-2010 , 06:56 PM
Technical Director
If he's animated the character onto the plate, then he shouldn't need to track it. willa, yes your approach is correct.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.