Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 02-10-2004 , 03:50 PM

learning Maya

Hi everyone!!

I'm new here and I'll start learning Maya. Can you tell me which is the best way to start? i.e. the best book to buy, the tutorials online that you already done and recommend, and the path to follow without losing my objective: learning Maya in the fastest and profissional way!!

Thanks and see you around here!! user added image

# 2 02-10-2004 , 03:52 PM
hey, IM completely new too to maya,(im only 14) but I am starting with polygons, but I'm sure if you should

:tupont't go down!
# 3 02-10-2004 , 04:21 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi and welcome to Simply Maya.
The most obvious place to start is by learning the interface and tools before attempting anything adventurous.
You can download the free video tutorials right here

https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?cat_id=23
Then you could purchase some points and move on to the V.I.P. tutorials which are excellent.
If you want written tutorials a good place to start might be
https://www.learningmaya.com

Goodluck and hope this helps.

# 4 02-10-2004 , 08:59 PM
Do you have any prior 3d modelling experience? If so I tend to like to import objects from my former modeller to maya, then animate with maya. My favorite modeller is Rhino 3d, but that's just me... many many people find it hard, I find it easier than maya (though much more buggy), but that's just me. If you're used to Gmax, Rhino, or hell even Zmod then by all means use it for your geometry, make life simple on yourself :b If you REALLY want to use Maya's modelling, which is a really good modelling program (in spite of my preferences) or have no prior modelling experience, then check out some of the guides.

I tend to prefer NURBs, but quite frankly I'm not sure how many commands Maya has compared to Rhino for it. Polygons are the only way to go about if you're trying to export to games though... ain't a game in the world that I know that uses NURBs

# 5 02-10-2004 , 09:22 PM
Subscriber
Firstly learning the interface is the most important part as you can have all the skill in the world, but if you can't use the software you still can't create models. So get used to navagating through maya and it's 3d space before trying anthing special. Then when your familar with that you'll want to start modelling and learning how to use the modelling tools. If you haven't got any 3d experience i'd recomend starting with polys and they're very predicable and easy to manipulate. If you pop over to the free tutorials section here ( click here ) you'll find a poly extrude basics tutorial by Michael Mckinley that'll help you understand how polys work and get you started.

btw - if you're modelling with polys and want to smooth your model i'd stay away from poly smooth and use the Poly --> SubD method as described in any of Kurts modelling tutorials.

Hope this helped. user added image

Last edited by ckyuk; 02-10-2004 at 09:26 PM.
# 6 02-10-2004 , 11:22 PM

Gonomo work shop tutorial

there is free Gonomo work shop tutorial in internet

# 7 03-10-2004 , 09:55 AM
Subscriber

Re: Gonomo work shop tutorial

Originally posted by mayacreation2004
Gonomo work shop

Those are forbidden words around here.

# 8 03-10-2004 , 05:16 PM
Subscriber

Re: Re: Gonomo work shop tutorial

Originally posted by ckyuk
Those are forbidden words around here.

why is that

# 9 03-10-2004 , 06:30 PM
Subscriber
****** Workshop are SM biggest competitors.

I mentioned them once and got slaughtered.

# 10 03-10-2004 , 06:32 PM
Subscriber
my point exactly ... I didn't type those *** i just spelt the word correct and SM replaces it with ****. user added image

# 11 03-10-2004 , 09:55 PM

Let start to work!!

Ok!!

Thanks everyone!! I'll try to follow your advices and start to work!!

I have no experience in modelling 3D, but I already worked (and still to work) with the API OpenGL.

Everyone I know told me that Maya is the best 3D Modelling Software for animation.

Thanks again user added image

# 12 04-10-2004 , 01:57 PM
Subscriber

Re: Let start to work!!

Originally posted by edma
Ok!!

Everyone I know told me that Maya is the best 3D Modelling Software for animation.

Thanks again user added image

who told u that??
i want names!!!!user added image

# 13 04-10-2004 , 05:52 PM
Subscriber
How long a list do you want? I did extensive research into Maya and their competitors prior to making such a sizable monetary investment. It may not be a lot of money to some ppl, but for me it is. I am retired so time was/is not a problem. It depends on your goals and willingness to invest in those goals.

There is a plithoria of reviews by knowledgable professionals and enthusists available. Most agree, Maya has a high learning curve, however most also agree that it is a matter of trying various programs (demos are available for most) and making a personal comfort decision. I skipped this and dove immediately at Maya because it encompasses so very much and the creative possibilities are seemingly endless.

I realize mention of competitors on this site is understandably forbidden, however - I have invested in ******, but look where I am. I have found that while ****** is awesome, for me, this is better. I have a great respect and appreciation for the efforts and results driven ideology of this site, the awesome community, and almost instant response to any and all inquiries without the customary denigration. You do not find that elsewhere. This is fact, not speculation.

Just mho.

t3

All great projects succeed one step at a time. One lone step firmly placed.
# 14 04-10-2004 , 06:24 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by t3logy
How long a list do you want? I did extensive research into Maya and their competitors prior to making such a sizable monetary investment. It may not be a lot of money to some ppl, but for me it is. I am retired so time was/is not a problem. It depends on your goals and willingness to invest in those goals.

There is a plithoria of reviews by knowledgable professionals and enthusists available. Most agree, Maya has a high learning curve, however most also agree that it is a matter of trying various programs (demos are available for most) and making a personal comfort decision. I skipped this and dove immediately at Maya because it encompasses so very much and the creative possibilities are seemingly endless.

I realize mention of competitors on this site is understandably forbidden, however - I have invested in ******, but look where I am. I have found that while ****** is awesome, for me, this is better. I have a great respect and appreciation for the efforts and results driven ideology of this site, the awesome community, and almost instant response to any and all inquiries without the customary denigration. You do not find that elsewhere. This is fact, not speculation.

Just mho.

t3

i want to here Pro's talk about maya's pros and cons and why its the best,
i wonder how much you have done in maya to conclude it is "the best" and how long you have worked in the industry to come up to that assumption,

if maya was the best, would everyone not use it... why would they bother with other packages....

hands down maya is not the best 3d app.

and wtf is up with those damn fuuser added image user added image ing "******"
isn't this a free public forum, how does mentioning the names of another site jeopardize sm's market or products
that's silly.
gnom0n, cgtalk,3dtotal, raph.com
if i were to say one was better than the other, i could understand the interest of this sites creator to censor or delete it, but i'm just saying names and free tuts can be found anywhere these days.

shuser added imaget grow up, and be more professional.

# 15 05-10-2004 , 01:34 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by vladimirjp
i want to here Pro's talk about maya's pros and cons and why its the best,
i wonder how much you have done in maya to conclude it is "the best" and how long you have worked in the industry to come up to that assumption,

if maya was the best, would everyone not use it... why would they bother with other packages....

hands down maya is not the best 3d app.

My communications skills are indeed quite poor. I did not say that Maya is the best 3D application. What I said was after intensive research, it is the best program for ME. I did take the time to review others. I have spoken face to face with several award winning professionals, friends and associates that work, have worked, and continue to work in the industry. Admittedly my research was not scientific in nature nor comprehensive. The scope of my interviews was geographically limited to California - it was sufficient for ME.

and wtf is up with those damn fuuser added image user added image ing "******"
isn't this a free public forum, how does mentioning the names of another site jeopardize sm's market or products
that's silly.
gnom0n, cgtalk,3dtotal, raph.com
if i were to say one was better than the other, i could understand the interest of this sites creator to censor or delete it, but i'm just saying names and free tuts can be found anywhere these days.

shuser added imaget grow up, and be more professional.

Surely you understand this is a business. Why would anyone want their competition advertised on their site? The competitor mentioned at the start of this thread also charges for very similar services. That would be like expecting Mattel to allow Hasbro to be discussed / advertised / referral given to on it's site. It is not acceptable. The asterisks in lieu of the "banned" phrases is in no way and should not be construed as being unprofessional.

t3

All great projects succeed one step at a time. One lone step firmly placed.