Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 29-06-2011 , 10:07 AM

trying to model swan shaped 2 text character

hi user added image i'm new to posting here and quite new to maya.

I'm trying to model a 2 in a shape of a swan. I'm trying to use xtrude to do this with a curve as a reference (think i adapted the curve from a font 2 curve). got a bit lost as to whether it's the best way to do it. I have included a file below with a half finished haphazardly extruded 2.

Previously i tried manipulating a straight 2 extrude to with bones then deleting the bonesout of the 2 to get the result, but that ended up messy.

patch modelling, some other surface style thing , extrude?? which.

Attached Files
File Type: zip extruded 2.zip (16.2 KB, 376 views)
# 2 01-07-2011 , 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

- Genny
# 3 01-07-2011 , 09:25 AM
Lifetime Member
I did similar...I duplicated the curve (after snapping it to the grid to make it planar) then loft then convert to poly with 'control points' as the conversion setting. Just a bit of advice...when you are either creating a curve or even a poly (create poly)...try to make sure that when you create points...and then you create them on the other side of the object...make them opposite each other..especially on arcs. This will make it so much easier when you convert or to use the split poly tool to join them up.

cheers bullet

P.S if you convert to polygons..before you do it reverse the surface on the NURB otherwise you will have to reverse the normals on the poly.user added image

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 01-07-2011 at 09:27 AM.
# 4 01-07-2011 , 10:03 AM
You could use the Birail3+ tool. Here is a VERY quick example using your original curves.

1. I made the rail curves planar
2. I used the ep curve tool to add some profiles
3. I cut the rail curves where the first and last profile curves intersect (note you would build the end bits using boundary surfaces)
4. I created the surfaces using three separate birail operations as I got odd shapes trying to birail the surface in one shot
5. I rebuilt the surfaces in (u,v) = (6,4) and attached them and tweaked the hulls and control point just a little.

Far more tweaking needs to be done but this is a good starting point for 5 minutes of work

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 05-07-2011 at 12:42 PM.
# 5 01-07-2011 , 10:54 AM
Lifetime Member
nice ct...nice indeed you NURBS nerd LOL...you have to do some more one day mate...

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 05-07-2011 , 11:16 AM
thanks for all the replies . Sorry didn't get back sooner. kind of trying a variety of things in maya right now. it all started when i found an old old college breif about making a classic style bbc two ident. i do remember that i had to choose one of the ideas i found and develop it, gone off at a tangent and tried to do others at the same time. This one involved swan shaped 2's crossing a lake. (so technically dynamics, bit of modelling lighting, textures etc etc). will post bits when i'm not too lazy to render them off! Currently playing with a cone firework firing 2 particiles ,for guyfalkes night and a glass of bubbly with twos as bubbles. All at a fairly haphazard state, but good for learning. I'll prolly post up with some more questions.

anyways..thanks for the suggestions, there were quite a few and quite detailed and fairly easy to understand. user added image