Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 02-08-2003 , 03:20 AM

Conversion?

Hi I have a questing. How do you insert a jpeg or gif file in Maya 5, so it can be traced.
And second how do you insert Maya’s file in Photoshop. Well and I still don’t know what do you do with your project when its done, what format do you live it in and stuff like that… I’ve been looking for this answers everywhere.
Thanks a lot for your help.

# 2 02-08-2003 , 09:51 AM
Subscriber
there is a plugin for photoshop that import and exports .iff files. i never came around to search for it myself, as i dont see a need for it. you can always render out in e.g. targa (.tga) which photoshop understands naturally. importing gif or jpeg works like importing any other images. be aware that some jpegs are not compatible with maya - it helps to open them in photoshop and resave - then they are compatible with maya (at least every time i tried that).

the projects - you could simply leave as is. dont only keep the rendered images or movies. keep the whole project. it is handy if you can reopen them at later times and maybe enhance the project or simply look how you done something ...

# 3 02-08-2003 , 11:42 AM
i always use tiffs, because they are pretty much universal. I always render to tiff as well and then compress to AVI or dump to tape from there.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 02-08-2003 , 01:23 PM

?

Yes, but how do you open .iff file in maya, it just says wrong format try import and when I try import it opens a new window like picture preview. But I want this pic to open in maya? Seems to me I can only open .ma files in maya5.
And what would you do with your final work in Maya if you live it as is you can only open it I Maya, but if I want to post it on inet, how would you be able to see it?

# 5 02-08-2003 , 01:34 PM
Subscriber

Re: ?

Originally posted by goldstar133
Yes, but how do you open .iff file in maya, it just says wrong format try import and when I try import it opens a new window like picture preview. But I want this pic to open in maya? Seems to me I can only open .ma files in maya5.
And what would you do with your final work in Maya if you live it as is you can only open it I Maya, but if I want to post it on inet, how would you be able to see it?

maya is not an image prcessor. so of course you cannot open or import images. you can create file render nodes and load a image into them.

maya is supposed to output image and/or movie files. so the best way to share your works on the net is a render in image or movie format.

# 6 02-08-2003 , 01:58 PM
Vampus
Well, I'm sure Ducky is right, if somewhat complex. I think the simple answer is that you can't import .iff files because they are images...they are 2d, not 3d.

# 7 02-08-2003 , 02:18 PM
Subscriber
i think what u want to do is create a NURBS plane the same size a the image then just texture it using the image you want to "trace".

# 8 02-08-2003 , 03:34 PM
Subscriber
I think if you are asking how to import a picture to model against, (not to edit it), you could try reading Mike's rather good 'image plane setup' tutorial in the newbie section of his site;

https://www.mtmckinley.net/

The shark tutorial on this site also covers image planes. Some people prefer to place their image as a texture onto a plane surface than to use the image plane function; personal preference really, I think you get less of a processor hit that way and it is easier to change, hide and delete them, for me anyway.

Last edited by Witchy; 02-08-2003 at 03:37 PM.
# 9 02-08-2003 , 07:15 PM

huh?

Huh I didn’t know that. So I can’t edit Maya’s creation in Photoshop or just put it in jpeg, that’s weird. After working hard on the project I have to use print screen? lol and than put it in Photoshop or web. Its just .ma format is not supported by any other program so I stuck with it forever user added image. What about this pics on this site made in uploaded in jpeg how was it done. For some reason they have a plug in that makes .iff format what is that for if I can’t import it to Maya anyway?

# 10 02-08-2003 , 07:29 PM
The Maya Mountain
when you render an image, you can save it however you want. You can't just open a Maya file in Photoshop, though.

# 11 02-08-2003 , 11:30 PM
I'm not sure I'm understanding the question here. If you just want to render your image to open in photoshop, just choose whatever you want the final image rendered as in Maya's Render Globals (along with the alpha channel box ticked if necessary)...using tiff or targa is fine. Then, simply open up the file in photoshop. If you have the plugin that allows photoshop to read .iff, that'll work also. Then just do you editing in photoshop and save as jpg or whatever you want depending on your needs..

Take a look at some of our free videos on Render Globals, Intro to Compositing, or Setting up Image Planes for Reference. They may help you out.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 12 03-08-2003 , 05:14 AM
Vampus
..Unless he is talking about texturing and UVs

# 13 03-08-2003 , 01:20 PM
Subscriber
You could just read the Maya Help what you want should all be in Instant Maya.

# 14 11-08-2003 , 01:33 AM
Subscriber
you can get a Maya .IFF Photoshop Plugin on highend3d under the tool section, just go down to the NT things, and look for "Maya .IFF Photoshop Plugin NT v1.1::"... -->
https://www.highend3d.com/maya/tools/
I unfortunately can't remember if it is in other places aswell... of for which version of photoshop it is for... user added image

regards

Strarup

------------------------------------------------
Alex V. U. Strarup

One mistake can ruin it all...