Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 29-09-2004 , 06:31 AM

using x-ray in modelling

Is there any way to change the opacity when using x-ray mode in modelling over an image plane?

# 2 29-09-2004 , 11:18 AM
Subscriber
an easy way is assigning a new material (lambert) to the objects you want to be more or less see-through, and make it a darker or lighter color. I think. But I'm a newbie myself, so I don't know.

# 3 29-09-2004 , 12:09 PM
Subscriber
yes if your Gcard suports it, most do. Only way I know to get controle over the amount of transparincy is to assing a lambert and ajust its transparincy.

# 4 14-01-2015 , 05:10 PM

x ray opacity while rigging

Responding to old thread which touches on my question: if I am rigging a hi poly mesh even with smooth shading off, and just wireframe and x ray joints on, it can be a little difficult to see position of joint in relation to everything else if the mesh is a mass of dark spaghetti.

Other than just changing mesh layer color to light gray or similar using "Edit Layer" popup, is there a way to reduce opacity of mesh (the wire mesh itself, not the faces) and/or other wireframe objects in the view, or have the joint/bone being added show in highlight rather than regular mode. This would all be for the sake of having the joint/bone being added "stand out" above everything else but still be able to see everything else in a faint opacity mode.

I also came across this similar autodesk post although I'm looking for "lighter" not "darker"
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/modeli...y/td-p/4122221

Thanks ahead of time! user added image

Last edited by richparker; 14-01-2015 at 05:16 PM.