Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 28-10-2006 , 05:37 AM

project advice

Hi all,

I trying to work out the best way to go about a particular project and wondered if you could help.

The plan is to animate a baby flying around a room like a deflating balloon. It needs to shrink and deform like a balloon would as it goes, but i also want it to flap its arms etc.

So here's the problem:

to easily do the poses, i need to rig a skeleton, but as far as I can see, this makes it very difficult to deform the body and more importantly scale it.

Any ideas on a way to do this. I was considering using shape blend to shrivel the baby, but will this work with a bound skin?

Cheers

# 2 28-10-2006 , 06:24 AM
Subscriber
Hey Vurt,

first thing you need to do before you bind the skin is create the necessary blendshapes you need.

Do a test animation from A to B, with no arm movement, using your keyframes. For example. Your baby would start at keyframe 1 and end at keyframe 48 lets say.

At frame one, this is how your baby will look fully deflated.

Go to frame 48 (or the frame the baby stops deflating). And duplicate it. Move the duplicate next to the original, and edit it (shrink it), to how you choose.

Now, select the duplicate, shift select the original and
Deform > Create Blendshapes ...tick the box and enter an appropriate name, then click create.

Now hide or delete the dup copy.

Go to frame 1. Select the baby. Go to Window > Animation Editors > Blendshape.

Press select then key.

Go to frame 48. Move the slider up, then press select then Key.

NOW you are ready to bind, then add movement to the limbs

good luck

user added image

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 3 28-10-2006 , 06:26 AM
Subscriber
'At frame one, this is how your baby will look fully deflated'. *

Go to frame 48 (or the frame the baby stops deflating). And duplicate it. Move the duplicate next to the original, and edit it (shrink it), to how you choose.

Soz Vurt, i meant full 'inflated' not deflated. Im sure you guessed that. lol

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 4 28-10-2006 , 06:44 AM
Another way would be to add a lattice deformer to your rigged character and while you animate the poses of your baby, use the lattice to warp the entire mesh and achieve the deflating look.

# 5 28-10-2006 , 07:14 AM
Aaah great, thats loads of help thanks,

one muore question though.... as the model gets smaller, won't the skeleton need to shrink? Not had much luck with scaling bones while skin is bound...