Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 61 21-07-2007 , 03:39 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Guys thanks

Mirek: thank you

Alphaflyte: magic? you are too kind, I am a worm...many thanks for your constructive crit, I appreciate it. I'll post up a side view later, the profile of this guy is verging on amphibious so you'll then see where this is heading, its not going to be a run of the mill character, more alien. I should have posted the back of the head too as the back of the neck will be making way for some piercings! Nice

Acid: Its not a render, its a screen shot from Zbrush 3, which happens to have realtime shadows these days

Cheers
Jay

# 62 21-07-2007 , 03:45 AM
Subscriber
Z Brush eh.., I did wonder?? I gotta say Jay, I noticed the ear is a work of art. You certainly nailed that one. Is it something from your library or did you construct in in situ?

take it easy and life will be easy
# 63 21-07-2007 , 05:35 AM
Nice going Jay, be looking forward to seeing how this forms up as ive just been doing a fishey style character for the challenge.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 64 21-07-2007 , 05:41 AM
Hey Mirek

Ears! I think they are every modelers nightmare, I used to make 'okay' ears but was never happy with them. Im very particular with polys too, no tris. So with ears its a real mission. I was building them new up until about a month ago, then I made a new female model at work and I made some new ears with some real determination to get them looking better than any that I've done before...and I did. The thing is I have a tendency to make my base head models with a certain amount of polys on the side of the head and the the girl was no exception, anyways the ears were made from the same poly position as ever but as I said this time they were gooooood...so I cut them off stuck and took them home for future use...and they fit directly on my new head without any fuss, just snap the verts, combine the objects, merge verts...done! One happy Zbrush ready model!

Cheers
Jay

# 65 21-07-2007 , 05:42 AM
Hey Steve

Cool, I'll check it....

Jay

# 66 21-07-2007 , 10:49 AM
Subscriber
Looks good like all your models.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 67 21-07-2007 , 03:14 PM
Thanks starjsjswars

heres the back and side views as mentioned earlier. Ive softened out the mastoids, the lips I left as I thought they were okay (hehe for now)

user added image

Jay

# 68 21-07-2007 , 04:42 PM
Subscriber
Aha it's showing more of who he is. The back of the neck looks really cool. The mastoids look muuuch better indeed, see magic user added image
I was wrong about the lower lip. It looks good in sideview.
There was the skew of the centerline too that makes the lower lip off-center, but that is a stylistic choice and what builds expression of the mouth so it's all good. This is not a crit. I'm all for asymmetries, genomic differences, lil quirks, and character.

I don't know anyone that takes crits as well as you pheuw. Was sort of in a hurry and short lol. I also feel a lil guilty because it's not like I could do it better. Glad you take what you agree with to heart and disregard and shrug off anything you disagree with.

Waiting patiently for the next update, both of the space interior and this guy here. Have a nice weekend now.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 21-07-2007 at 04:55 PM.
# 69 21-07-2007 , 05:28 PM
Alphaflyte

Thanks. I didnt think you were in a hurry or short, your comments were fine.

I dont mind crit on any model, as long as its constructive Im fine with it. Its the only way to learn, otherwise we become blinded by our own creations - thank goodness for forums!!

If I get a chance I'll post up the concept sketch of this guy. Its A3 sized so I may have to scan it at work - I'll see what I can do

Cheers
Jay

# 70 22-07-2007 , 09:16 AM
Subscriber

Not toooo shabby! LOL

Hey Jay, awesome work as usual brother!
Very good knowledge of anatomy.
I have decided to do a few drawings of male and female
muscle structures to drill it into my head how everything
should fit together and look. (after my current project ofcause)

Your work is very inspiring indeed.
Keep it up!

cheers
user added image

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep - Scott Adams"

<b>Toxic Bunny</b>
# 71 22-07-2007 , 02:00 PM
Toxic...Duuuuude!

hey thanks man, much appreciated, you people here are too kind, (bows head humbly, with eyes like Puss In Boots from Shrek) Im just a man doing his thing. I dontthink you can ever know enough anatomy, theres always something you notice. I think the main thing is to get proportions right, thats first and foremost, then learn the subtleties later, I hope thats what Ive doneuser added image

Yeah I didnt get a chance with the drawings today, as I was very busy at work with deadline graphics for tomorrows paper.

Hopefully Monday night.

Will update this later on...

Cheers
Jay