Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 30-12-2008 , 01:40 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

where are all the good videogames?

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering when gamedevelopers start making great videogames again and i would especially would like to see a good rpg again instead of those damn shoot em up's.
The thing is although games are visually getting better the core stays the same.
The last game i played was Oblivion; the elder scrolls and although i liked the way you can fight and the endless possibilities the game seemed dead to me and the npc's you interact with are always like go there fetch that, the same way like you would do in breath of fire 5 on the super nintendo.

Same goes for assasins creed once you got the countermove you could take on 20 or more men at a time, also when you had done one city you had them all, when i finished the first mission i knew that the assasins guild master would be the endboss.(My only big question about that game is why it recieved such a high rating by pretty much all reviewers )

Then you had Kotor 1 and 2(knights of the old republic)\
1 had some very irritating bugs but for it's time was a reall good first step, and then there was kotor 2 which was made by obsidian and they basically screwed it up there was no end sequence later i heard that they had to rush it at the end because they didn't make the deadline, so initially i thought it was Lucasarts who forced it upon them.....until i played Neverwinternights 2 which had some serious bugs(special items and/or characters which didn't appear if you walked on the leftside of the right and other trigger bugs like that).

GTA 4 is also not what i expected to see the graphics are really under par, storywise also no surprises.
Very irritating controls i play it on a hd screen and a PS3 and when i'm driving i would like to see what's coming and the standard camera angle is not what i want so i have to correct it constantly with my right analog stick the same goes for doing a drive by you have to steer with the left and aim with the right -analog -stick, this game was also heavily hyped by the critics and my guess is that this was mostly based on graphics/trailers sweet talk of the spokespersons.

The other thing i'm beginning to dislike about rpg's is the fact that leveling/powering -up still abides the dungeon and dragon rules you get to spent points to the attributes you would like, i would like to see a rpg where you level up based on how often you use a technique effectively

The only two games from the past years I enjoyed thoroughly were Thief3 and Final fantasy10.
Thief was great because;
-1- you weren't the all powerfull player, so if you got into a fight with two city guards and you wanted to fight yourself out you'd probably die
-2- great story arch; you hear rumours about an appending evil, knitted together with some reall nice cg cutscenes
-3- great graphics; it has a bit of a surreal cartoony medieval feel to it but trust me it's great.
-4- excellent level design
-5- because you are not all powerfull and you have limited supplies sometimes the suspense of getting caught or not is killing you at times.

final fantasy 10 was great because of the great storytelling and the cutscenes are breathtaking and well balanced gameplay.

Well i looked on the internet to find some new great new RPG/action adventures to play and i was surprised to find out that bioware is making a sequel to KOTOR and somewhere i hoped that they would continue on from KOTOR1 and 2 and maybe do some next gen graphics and for gameplay " borrow" something from fable(starting out as a young boy to an elderly man), a world that changes based on the choices you make if you are darkside you"ll get bleak desolate places lightside the opposite.
More freeroaming, passive powers actually have an effect; so let's say you have a high awareness and/or forceaffinity, the screen begins to shock when something dangerous is about to happen and you have to push a button sequence in order to see a bit into the future using the force to anticipate what's about to happen.
I even send this and other suggestions to improve( in my humble opinion ofcourse)gameplay and to my great surprise they actually answered, but like most of the things in life you don't get the answers you want; they basically said whe are making it an online game like warcraft, but with an individual story...yeah right.
I absolutely hate Online only games, and why you ask?
They go on forever they never have a story , graphics suck(trust me i can go on forever with this).
I"ll wait and see if it becomes anything but i fear the worst.
The other day i saw a game called dragon age origins and Diablo 3 they both promise next gen blablabla(read; salestalk).
I actually saw some gamefootage of dragonage origins and to me it looked a bit stale, but we"ll wait and see i guess.

I hope that in the next years to come there will be some major changes in gamesland(like firing some of those damn suits who determine which game has a high probability of succes based on some graph or chart)...

what do you guys think?

# 2 30-12-2008 , 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
I can say this, the last games I truly enjoyed playing was Zelda Wind Waker and Ico (short but good). Assassin's Creed was beautiful but fell short especially at the end (collected those flags for pretty much no reason). FFX was good, FFX2 was playing an interactive girl band music video.

Innovation is risky, and they're in it to make $$ so yes the suits have the say and there isn't a healthy balance of business/art. Sadly it seems like they're making games thinking the consumer is an idiot or will just run away from anything that's different than the usual format.

I don't think online games have bad visuals, especially when you look at Guild Wars, Lineage II, World of Warcraft etc. You want appeal to a broad audience, everybody doesn't have high end PCs and fast connections so I don't expect the majority of online games to look like Crysis soon, you'll be playing on dead servers.

- Genny
# 3 30-12-2008 , 03:49 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
regarding the Online games;
the visuals are offcourse acceptable, but the main thing i have against a game that is online only is that storywise the game lacks terribly; " come on dan66, ironmaidenfan1971 let's go and find the monster.
But i am affraid that more of these games will pop up in the near future because they are a steady income to a gamedeveloper with those monthly subscriptions.

Regarding the fact that not everybody has a highend pc; i thought there was a technique similar like how torrents work which uses CPU/GPU performance of an individual and adding them to the server making the gaming experience the same for everybody(don't know the technical side of it though)

# 4 30-12-2008 , 04:08 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I thing in parts of guild wars the story could be considered good and you dont have to pay monthly..
and SW: KOTOR is great IMO (as is the sequel)

"The other thing i'm beginning to dislike about rpg's is the fact that leveling/powering -up still abides the dungeon and dragon rules you get to spent points to the attributes you would like, i would like to see a rpg where you level up based on how often you use a technique effectively"

If i recall morrowind (elder scrolls 3) works that way

I think there are some great games out there, you just need to find them, try games you wouldnt normally play, like viva pinata

# 5 30-12-2008 , 05:15 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
KOTOR is great, you wanna try playing Lord of the Rings RPG, it sux!!!

Jay

# 6 30-12-2008 , 09:00 PM
Acid44

Originally posted by elephantinc
i would like to see a rpg where you level up based on how often you use a technique effectively"

If i recall morrowind (elder scrolls 3) works that way

yep, it does

rigght now im addicted to F.E.A.R. i can't get enough of it... it's so bloody intense, every little sound makes you turn some random direction and start shooting the closest wall... but at the same time it's also really in depth, tons of little things like messages on phones and stashed dead bodies and shit to keep you busy... plus the graphics and physics on it are pretty high end for an older game, especially the volumetric lighting and particles...

i say everyone should try it, evin if you aren't into CQC shooters, because that's not at all all it is, it can be played as a CQC shooter with bullet spraying madness, or as a tacticle shooter, or even as a crazy action movie style melee combat vs a crapload of bullets flying at you game, plus the story line is really cool

:nod:

# 7 31-12-2008 , 03:08 AM

Originally posted by mastone
Regarding the fact that not everybody has a highend pc; i thought there was a technique similar like how torrents work which uses CPU/GPU performance of an individual and adding them to the server making the gaming experience the same for everybody(don't know the technical side of it though)

Do such distributed severs exist?

I mean, if the game server was distributed amongst ten thousand PCs around the world, connected with Internet connections of varying bandwidth, latency, reliability, what happens if one of them experiences high latency all of a sudden? Or crashes? Or if an entire suburb or something experiences a power failure or something? Would part of the game world fail? Lag?

I would expect that game servers be clusters (on the TOP500 list of supercomputers there is a 10,000+ CPU cluster in China for running multiplayer games), but those clusters are very tightly connected (like in a single room, with high-end networking, redundancy, UPSes, etc.)

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 8 31-12-2008 , 08:22 AM
Subscriber
There has been some great games out lately.

The new tombraider is a blast GEARS of WAR was amazing and fallout 3 is just dame cool.

As for RPG`s there are lots of cool ones of them as well. FF10 was cool (second only to FF7) but FF12 was good as well and 13 is out soon. Then there was Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, Mass Effect (very much like KOTOR withot the starwars characters) and The Last Remnant all realy good rpgs

And further more you got games like
The Lord of the Rings, The White Council, The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf, Borderlands, Resident evil 5 - all coming very soon.

# 9 01-01-2009 , 04:49 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
There is also the very unappreciated jade empire. Its made by the same people as KOTOR and is practically the same except theres no star wars but I think the combat system is better

# 10 01-01-2009 , 11:08 AM
Subscriber
I don't play many video games, but I have been enjoying COD WAW, and I just got a PS3 and picked up MGS4, and to my surprise it was the game of the year at gamespot

# 11 01-01-2009 , 11:19 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
MGS1 rocked
MS2 was quite good as well

# 12 01-01-2009 , 04:30 PM
i definitely think there are a ton of good games at the moment. i just played though dead space which was very cool - good story and scary - and at the moment i'm playing gears 2 which is a blast.

in the last year, bioshock, gta 4 and the psp god of war have all been a blast to play. and out at the moment, mirrors edge, fallout and left 4 dead all look pretty good to me and interesting. so i dunno, i guess i'd have to disagree.

# 13 02-01-2009 , 12:13 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Rhetoric Camel
I don't play many video games, but I have been enjoying COD WAW, and I just got a PS3 and picked up MGS4, and to my surprise it was the game of the year at gamespot

is it really that much of a surprise?
the only things i see out there atm are lame racing games and fps games, no real games (this is an exaggeration from my grudge against racing games where you can't shoot the other cars or blow up yours)

i haven't gotten me a ps3 yet, but i will if FF13 is still coming out on it. (my cousin said it's not coming out on ps3 in english anymore, but rather 360, which sucks because now it wont look as pretty since it was made specifically for the ps3)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 14 02-01-2009 , 03:36 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chirone
i haven't gotten me a ps3 yet, but i will if FF13 is still coming out on it. (my cousin said it's not coming out on ps3 in english anymore, but rather 360, which sucks because now it wont look as pretty since it was made specifically for the ps3)

That is utter rubbish - don't believe a word he said.

In japan its still a PS3 only game (not xbox only), but in the usa and uk (not sure about euro soz) the games is out on both and at the same time.

Full details here

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fi...to-360-article

But the shocking news was this the other day - work on the xbox version has yet to begin.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/wo...i-for-xbox-360

I got a PS3 for Christmas from my very loving girlfriend and so far (when it comes to games) not impressed (Blueray rules).

My 360 had much more fun games on it (Gear2, left for dead, Dead rising). COD is CRUD and all I see in the shops for the PS3 are sports and driving games or games that are on the 360 (and cheaper on there too).

I had the Prince of Pursur game and thats a blast and looking forward to my step dad sending me his copy of tomb raider now he has finished it but they are both also on the 360

And also 1 hour and a half to install and update "Everybody's golf" - WTF
(GF - Fav game) - Why cant games run off the 60gig Blueray disks instead of the hard drive (My god the disk are bigger than some of the hard drivers. That game is not the biggest in history surely.

Sorry everyone rant over - I have always loved the PS but if think this one is not up to strach yet (And to be fair not played MGS4 yet) but I am even more pissed off now that my xbox360 was stolen just before Christmas.

# 15 04-01-2009 , 06:08 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
no one liked N.F.S undercover other than mgs 4 i think thats my game for 2008