Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 15-10-2009 , 08:41 PM

smoothing a model: help needed

First I'd just like to see I am new to this site as well as new to modeling. I am taking a class at the moment and this is the first object I've ever attempted to model in Maya. The project was to design a unique car and eventually texture, animate, light, and render it. The car is almost done being modeled but I am having some trouble smoothing it out.

Picture of car front:

user added image

wire frame:

user added image

car back:

user added image

smoothed:

user added image

smoothed wire frame:

user added image

So basically I have been unable to smooth out the car without having it give me some strange texture effects. I have tried using the smooth tool and adjusting the options. I have tried averaging the vertices (most unhelpful of the tools I've tried). I have also tried softening the normal edges and I have been able to get close to the appearance of what I want by softening all the edges of the car and then going back and selecting the edges that I want to keep hard. Anyone have any other recommendations on how to give this car a more uniform look? Basically whats the best way for me to go about doing this properly? Also, since this is my first model, any comments at all would be appreciated. Thanks.

# 2 16-10-2009 , 12:55 AM
Here's a simple tip that might help you alittle.

If you want an edge to be sharp, add another edge close to it. The closer the added edge is, the sharper the edge will be. See screen shot.

The cube on the left turns round when smoothed, but the cube on the right doesn't. I added an extra edge loop near the top edge, to keep the top edge from rounding out.

Note: if I added 2 edges, then the top edge would have been really really sharp.

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!