Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 30-01-2010 , 03:12 PM
Acid44

I need some PS help...

ok, so i just got a new monitor and im working on a background for it... it's gonna be a basic biohazard type of thing, cellular crap goin on in the background, biohazard symbol in the middle, ect.

im having a huge problem with making a texture for the background though, no matter what i do i cant make a tile-able hexagon pattern similar to that of the armor in crysis...

this is what i have so far, what i want is that, but with the black replaced by a hexagon pattern in dark grey (shapes) and black (backing) with a gradient going from left to right in clear and black respectively, so that on the left it has the hexagonal pattern and on the right it's black.

https://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...zard_green.jpg

i dont mind starting over at all... i just want it done right :p

so i was wondering if anyone can direct me to or write me up a very VERY basic tutorial to make a tile-able hexagon pattern, i say very basic because im a PS noob, im still in the stage of thinking filters make everything amazing :p

thanks alluser added image

PS: if you wanna throw in a tut on making glowy cellular shapes like this (https://www.scienceclarified.com/imag...02_img0068.jpg) type of thing, it'd be a huge bonus, although im sure i could figure that out on my ownuser added image

EDIT: found a decent tut for making cells that i can modify to my liking

here it is: https://www.roseindia.net/software-tu...s/detail/15896

Last edited by Acid44; 30-01-2010 at 03:23 PM.
# 2 01-02-2010 , 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Does it absolutely have to be made in Photoshop? Because for the geometrical background I would just jump into Maya and make a shape, assign a surface shader, dupe it into the pattern I want and render that out at whatever resolution. And whats great about it is that you'll have an alpha mask built in, so you can do a bunch of crazy stuff with it in Photoshop, and you can snip that up if you want something tileable. And for the second issue, I'd definitely do the base shapes in Maya.

- Genny
# 3 02-02-2010 , 06:11 PM
Acid44
at the moment it does have to be done in photoshop, i dont know why but my 9500 gt is terrible with maya, for some reson my old onboard 64 mb card was better... basically it just laggs and laggs and laggs, its unbearable... but anyways, yea, untill i figure out the problem with that or get a new card, which problem wont be anytime soon for either of them, it has to be PS :headbang:

# 4 05-02-2010 , 01:31 AM
19 year Veteran
Is this the type of pattern your trying to do acid44?

Last edited by THX1138; 05-12-2010 at 10:10 PM.
# 5 08-02-2010 , 12:37 AM
Acid44
yes it is, but with a tiny bit of 3d shading, smaller shapes and, a tiny bit thicker shapes

# 6 11-02-2010 , 01:47 AM
19 year Veteran
Like this?

Last edited by THX1138; 05-12-2010 at 10:10 PM.