Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 29-07-2010 , 02:56 AM

Penetration of rigid bodies

I'm having trouble with rigid bodies penetrating each other...specifically the active bodies penetrating my ground plane which is passive body. I have some boulders falling from a cliff and destroying a bridge but it's always causing penetration issues. Right now, I'm just blocking out the animation so all the geometry is stand-ins. If I'm having this much problems right now, I can't imagine what it's going to be like with the regular geometry.

Is there a way to prevent this issue or at least minimize it?

In the screenshot, the boulder hit's the rails and and pieces get bent and separated, etc. The pieces that fall, which isn't much right now, seem to always penetrate the ground. The big boulder is the only thing that doesn't seem to cause problems

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 2 29-07-2010 , 07:58 AM
The thin red line
Have you tried increasing the tassilation on the small parts, i think that is what they do in ncloth................dave

# 3 29-07-2010 , 12:47 PM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by daverave
tassilation

lol
user added image

how about the geoconnector node on the small pieces. increase that.

# 4 29-07-2010 , 07:57 PM
rofl.

Well, I tried increasing the tassilation user added image and divisions, etc but it didn't have any effect.

I'll try the geoconnector node thingy.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 29-07-2010 , 08:01 PM
I don't see anything in the hypergraph about geoconnector node, can you be more specific? What do I need to increase?

Exceed Expectations!
# 6 29-07-2010 , 08:49 PM
The Nurb Herd
sorry, i believe i'm getting confused with particle collisions.

collision tolerance on the rigid solver might be what you are after.

Last edited by honestdom; 29-07-2010 at 08:51 PM.
# 7 22-08-2010 , 10:29 PM
Subscriber
Might ber a bit late in reply here Perfecto.
The first thing i would try though, is making sure all normals are set in the right direction, collisions are based upon normal direction and if one normal is pointed the wrong direction it can cause penetration issues like this.

Also when you get ready to do this with your hero models, you can actually use Sdandin geometry for the collisions so that the calculations will run much faster, and still get the same effect.

g-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!