Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 27-03-2004 , 01:49 PM

Good first project

Hey. I'm looking for a good first project. I've created a hammer(tutorial) and a hand(tutorial), and now i'm looking for something to create that's not overly difficult, to work on by myself without instructions. If u have any good ideas post them. Thx

# 2 27-03-2004 , 03:03 PM
Go with what you are interested in. Scifi/charachters/archetechture. Playing is the best way of learning.

# 3 27-03-2004 , 03:26 PM

i want to do characers

My intrest is in characters, but i'm thinking that may be very advanced for a first project. Do u think it may be?

# 4 27-03-2004 , 09:42 PM
do a Anime/Manga charachter, they are simple, their are lots of templates on the web.

# 5 28-03-2004 , 12:21 AM
I'm a complete maya noob but i have found modeling the random crap on my desk has helped a hell of alot.

# 6 28-03-2004 , 11:09 PM

hey

whats a anami/manga character? I do like the idea of modeling the stuff on my desk. i think i'll try my game pad or speakers. Thx.

# 7 29-03-2004 , 12:15 AM
a good project " without instructions " ?

hmmm-
yes, as stated above-
Play around with random objects or creations, this way you become familiar upon using your tools and then my advise is:

your local bookstore or online store for a copy of a student learning Maya book of what ever version you have, etc.
I have several from that i've saved from my classes but they do come in handy.

or again-
refer to your maya tutorial links

<-- click
* 3D Animator
* Abstract Designer
* Theme Skinner
* Admin & Owner " FiberOPticz "
# 8 29-03-2004 , 01:16 AM

hey

Student learning Maya 5(my version). is that the actual title? I didn't see that when i searched for books on google. I'll look for it or something close to it. Thx for the advise.

By the way i like ur signature. Cool picture.

# 9 29-03-2004 , 01:20 AM
actually it will say something to the aspect of " learning maya " then i guess you'll have to choose the actual version in refrence, etc. Do you have the Unlimited Maya 3D 5 version ?

<-- click
* 3D Animator
* Abstract Designer
* Theme Skinner
# 10 29-03-2004 , 02:03 AM

no

actually right now i'm using the personal learning addition, because i'm not ready to dish out a ton of cash yet. I want to get expierience first and see how i like it. Anyway, i think i know what i'm gonna do. I'm gonna follow a less detailed tutorial, the kind that doesn't walk you through everything. It's the star wars walker one at Highend3d.com.

I have two questions though. I have a book Maya complete 2 a tiny bit outdated, but concepts are good. Unfortuantly some of the buttons and menues have changed names, so i'm having trouble following its directions on how to get a image in the background. Can someone give me an idea on how to do that.

Secondly, where is the create polygon tool. This is probably a very stupid question, because its probably right infront of me and i just don't see it. Thx a lot.

# 11 29-03-2004 , 02:37 AM
to create a image for your background, I am assuming you mean once you have finished your model right ? Well, go to your Create Tab > Create Polygon Plane... Resize it to your needs... Select the Plane and open its Attributes. From there you want to look for the " FILE " Tab ( option ) on the right, around the Color/Transparency options, etc. Then once you've clicked on the FILE TAB... Select the IMAGE you want for the PLANE, etc.

I have Maya 4.0 & 4.5 Unlimited...so might be a little diff' for 5.0 ?

I also have Maya 2.0 & 2.5 Unlimited-
Contact me:

MSN : silentowl8
AIM : FiberOpticz26

<-- click
* 3D Animator
* Abstract Designer
* Theme Skinner

Last edited by SilentOwl; 29-03-2004 at 02:42 AM.
# 12 30-03-2004 , 02:41 AM

hey

Actually, i was looking for before i make the model as a guide to follow. I don't know if it is the same thing or not. I'll try it and see if it works. Got homework now though. School comes first i guess. thanks. Oh and do u know anything about the create polygon tool. Thanks a lot for ur help. I'll look for u on AIM. I only have express though, parents don't like it. THX.