Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 06-05-2004 , 03:59 AM

Maya on linux questions.

Is there anyone here using Maya 5 on Linux? I have a lot of questions and am having trouble finding answers, as most everyone is using it on Windows.

The first is, I know in the tutorials it tells about using the CTRL and ALT keys with mouse buttons to dolly/track/tumble the screen, but that doesn't seem to work in Linux. Al I can manage is to dolly, and that really only zooms in or out, nothing else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

# 2 06-05-2004 , 08:29 AM
I'm on maya 5 and linux and I have no problems with those keys. It must be your setup, what version of Linux are you running?

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 06-05-2004 , 08:58 AM
Subscriber
which window manager are you using ? probably gnome or kde ? CTRL and ALT keys and ALT-MMB are already binded in those window managers so you have to CHANGE this by hand. There are detailed instructions with your linux maya package on how to do this... its simply done through the window manager's configuration utility .... ( kcontrol for kde and ... i dont remember how it is called in gnome... user added image ....)
I have experience on using maya with Linux though i currently work on windows
user added image

Konstantinos

You know, there are at least two ways of getting things done... Your way and the right way...
# 4 06-05-2004 , 04:59 PM
I'm using Gnome with the Metacity Window Manager on RedHat 9.

# 5 06-05-2004 , 05:34 PM
# 6 06-05-2004 , 11:31 PM
Thank you. That fixed it.