Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 07-05-2007 , 03:57 AM

make a hole in a object

Hi.
I want to make a nail go through a cardboard.
I want the cardboard to crack and the nail to leave a hole.
And also for the cardboard's flaps to bend.
How do I do this?
thanks a lot!!!

# 2 07-05-2007 , 08:32 AM
Jr.Who
I think that to make the hole you need the 2 meshes to be selected and go to Mesh>Booleans>And then I think Difference, although it might be Intersection.

Just go and test it out!
user added image

# 3 07-05-2007 , 10:34 AM
Check out this tut. It's an exploding wall. You could do your cardboard animation in a similar fashion. The nail could act sort of like the projectile and the cardboard could act like the wall. I havn't really done any animation, this was just what came to mind when I read your thread.

https://www.tutorialscentral.com/inde...d=39&Itemid=30

If you use this method, then I think you'll need to perform the boolean (as Jr. Who suggested) to make the nail hole before you create the shatter (crack) effect.

Good luck! user added image

Edit: instead of using a force to blow your cardboard away, just set keys to move the cracked pieces as you want. Also, maybe you can use a deform tool and set keys for it to create the bending effect.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 07-05-2007 , 10:43 AM
NICE, thank you guys.