Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 09-05-2007 , 06:53 PM

Getting Reference images from DVD movies

Hey Guys

I'm wanting to get some reference images of a character from a DVD that i've got (as theres some great front and side shots), ive tried pausing the dvd and then using print screen but to no avail, which I assume is to stop people doing this exact thing and then posting on the internet, as thats what i'm NOT going to do and its for a personal project does any one know how I can do this other than pressing pause and getting my camera out and taking a pic of the screen?

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 2 09-05-2007 , 06:56 PM
Senior Software Developer
Try one Snag It. Its a great produce and should get your video images. also any DVD Plyer software should have a screen capture option.

Try Camtasia's site fist to see what they have and get the trial.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 09-05-2007 , 06:59 PM
Man that was quick i'll have a look into it!!

Been using media player, ive also got cine player, both of em wont let me, damm things!

Hows things Chirs?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 09-05-2007 , 07:07 PM
Senior Software Developer
Fine m8,

Just tidied up the fife side of the bridge ready to UV Map and texture.

I am going to get real footage of the bridge incase he world enviro does float it (not execting it too), but it can still be used it testes m8. Its not 100% accurate to fife, but close enought for our purposes.

Yeah i think is down to copyright infringements. Did u get my PM pal?

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 09-05-2007 , 10:22 PM
Subscriber
I've had the same issue. I used some free screen capture utility and also the builtin save bitmap feature in my dvd player s/w but to no avail.
Print screen doesnt work either.

Do lemme know if things work out.

Thx.

# 6 09-05-2007 , 11:14 PM
Aye, some videos have some impressive coding that keep people from taking screenshots...I was able to paste something into Photoshop once, but...heh, some bizarre stuff happened; I'll leave it at that, as I can't even begin to describe what was going on :p

EDIT:

Not even Camstudio could help me.

# 7 10-05-2007 , 12:04 AM
Subscriber
if ur using WMP thry this
watch the vid it shows u how click

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 8 10-05-2007 , 03:06 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
i use alias skethbook pro's capture screen utility to take a snap shot.
You can place your original dvd in your computer and use dvd shrink to analyse(read unlocking the movie) the movie and back it up on your harddisk and i don't think it's illegal because you own an original movie and your using it for non-commercial reasons so i think there's nothing on-ethical about it

# 9 30-05-2007 , 10:34 PM
if you use PowerDVD it has that option and it is really good because that's what i use it for on my computer. it sends thte pictures to the documents folder but you can change that.

# 10 02-06-2007 , 11:14 AM
another little but (i think) good tool ist acdsee which has a tool which is called "showroom". with this nice prog you can extract EVERY frame from the movie as an pic. i donĀ“t know, if it works with every dvd, but most of them should be play fine.