Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 11-06-2007 , 11:04 AM

Neiborhood

It's been a little while since I posted any WIP's so I figured I'd post one. I'm going to attempt to model a neighborhood. I'll model middle and upperclass houses just because they're fancier. I don't have enough funds yet to purchase Kurts house tutorial he just did, so I'm just going to wing it the best I can. I feel confident I can model them to look right but not confident that the methods will be correct. But that's okay as long as they look decent.

My goal is to model one house per day (night really), except Wednesdays and Sundays. Not that I'll actually meet that goal.

Crits are welcomed. Just keep in mind that my main focus will be on modeling and not really on texturing or lighting.

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 2 11-06-2007 , 11:54 AM
Jr.Who
Looks cool, I'll be watching this one.
user added image

# 3 11-06-2007 , 03:40 PM
Gutters and some windows (not finished). Just thought I'd post progress pics.

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 11-06-2007 , 05:22 PM
update

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 5 11-06-2007 , 05:43 PM
Wow, that looks nice! I love the petruding turret like section. Nice choice of colors, i would have picked blue, red, and yellow...

Yay, not a freshman anymore!
# 6 11-06-2007 , 06:20 PM
Thought this lamp turned out really well, so I'm posting it by itself. Modeled it from a reference I found by googling "porch light"

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 7 11-06-2007 , 07:00 PM
update

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 8 11-06-2007 , 09:04 PM
Not quite finished but I'm getting tired. I may call this finished for now and start looking for a reference image for the next house. I can always come back later to add some more details.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 9 11-06-2007 , 09:10 PM
If anyone has a decent reference image of a house they'd like to see me model, feel free to post it here or email it to erothf@yahoo.com. I'm looking for middle to upper class houses. Not too big though as I'm going to try to create a neighborhood.

Exceed Expectations!
# 10 11-06-2007 , 09:27 PM
Subscriber
Lol looks cool.

are you gonna model the inside?

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 11 11-06-2007 , 09:43 PM
Thanks starjsjswars! I'm not going to model the inside, at least not now, maybe later on though. I also don't plan on modeling any details on the back of the houses since they won't be seen either. When I do model props and stuff as my Maya experience grows, at least I'll have some houses to put them in, hehe.

Exceed Expectations!
# 12 12-06-2007 , 09:28 AM
I found a really good website for reference images. I've emailed to get permission to use them since they are copyrighted. Hopefully, I can find some other references I can use in the meantime and hopefully by lunchtime tomorrow.

Exceed Expectations!
# 13 12-06-2007 , 04:32 PM
Sorry everyone, I've just made the hard decision of setting this project aside for a couple of months in order to join in the summer challenge. Now, I'll also have plenty of time to get some good references when I do start back up. My apologies to anyone who was looking forward to the neighborhood. I just need more practice with organic modeling than non-organic and the summer challenge will be a perfect learning experience as it has been the last two challenges.

If you're thinking about your own next project, let me recommend the summer challenge.

Exceed Expectations!
# 14 12-06-2007 , 05:41 PM
Acid44
damn youz!!!!!!:p

oh well just dont forget about this projectuser added image

# 15 13-06-2007 , 02:05 AM
hehe

Exceed Expectations!