Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 12-02-2008 , 09:36 AM

Rendering speeds

I am using Maya 7.0 along with Mentalray. I am finding that the rendering engine does not use a lot of my ram but instead seems to be hitting a swap file. This is a problem that we have been struggling with for a while with Mentalray. I would like to know if anyone has experienced a similar situation and if there is some “tweak” I can do to fix this. Thanks.

# 2 12-02-2008 , 11:24 PM
Subscriber
excuse my ignorance.., whats a swap file.., ive 'heard of page swapping.., but not sure what it is??

never heard of anything like this in maya.., but thats not saying much either??

whats the symptoms??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 3 13-02-2008 , 06:43 AM
Maybe I am the one not using the proper terms. It is the virtual memory that is used on the hard drive. It seems that maya is using this instead of the ram. I notice that when I start a rendering the memory usage does not change. The processors are at 100%. I am not sure where maya is sending rendered data for storage. I just dont see where the physical memory is being used. I talked to our techs and they monitored my machine during a rendering and they said it is not hitting the ram at all. I am not sure if it is sending it to the hard drive. I hope that help explain my problem. I am probably not explaining it properly. Thank so much for the help.

# 4 13-02-2008 , 10:02 AM
Subscriber
its totally normal that your processors are running at 100%.

as far as RAM.., mate im no expert but i see no--one else coming to your aid.

I am not sure how mental ray works but my guess it is software based and not hardware..,

i just did a render with mental ray and watched the processors.., (dual) both maxed and then stayed at 100%.., page filing jumped from 990 meg up to 1.9 gig..., physical memory hardly moved (yes its software based)

if your getting good renders and there is no problem and its a simple matter of you not understanding the rendering process as it exists under the bonnet.., dont worry about it.., its normal

if there are problems.., which i have not noted here as you have not actually mentioned that this was giving you grief

forget it and happily render on

you could also try the maya site (auto desk) or the help files.., maya is open source I think.., so ther might be info on rendering and processing stats.., ect.., there.

take it easy and life will be easy