Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 01-07-2004 , 09:08 PM

A few newbie questions re: animation basics

I'm trying (and mostly failing) to do some basic animation stuff...so i've got a few questions.

1. i'm doing a basic skeleton, so i've got a hip, knee, and ankle joint. i created an IK handle from the hip to the ankle- how can i now rotate the knee (on the z and x axes i suppose) without it all collapsing?

2. my skin weights tool is really slow...is that just always how it is or could i be doing something wrong?

3. mmmm i forgot the last question so i'll have to come back another time.

sorry if they're stupid questions (yes, yes, i know there is no such thing), but what kind of newbie would i be if they weren't?

-katie

"a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - rwe
# 2 01-07-2004 , 09:29 PM
The Maya Mountain
1. place a locator or something in front of the knee. Select the locator, shift select the IK handle. Use Constraints > Pole Vector Constraint. Moving the locator will now move the knee orientation.

2. how much ram do you have? processor speed?

# 3 06-07-2004 , 06:09 PM
1. thanks for the knee help!
2. 523,704 KB RAM; pentium 4 1.60GHz

and another question....
Do you know of an MD3 export plugin for Maya 6? i've found one for Maya 5.0, but no luck w/ 6.0

-katie

# 4 08-07-2004 , 09:13 PM
Ok, forget md3 export for 6.0.

Instead- does anyone have any tips on exporting md3 files from Maya? (I'm now using maya 5.0)

I've baked the animation to the polymesh (or vertices, I suppose), triangulated the model, and....it won't export, and I'm not sure what else to do.
Eh?

-katie