Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-12-2005 , 08:14 PM

male.. (wip)

made a low res mesh and did some detailling in z-brush.. forgot to put in ears though :headbang:

But i am going to try an retopologzing it and then trying to render with normal and displacments map

Never done anything like that before just trying to get a point for school we could choose something we wanted to learn user added image

https://mech7.net/tmp/1.jpg

The rib cage still looks weird also the arm on the side is weird.. any tips/suggestions etc welcome user added image

# 2 28-12-2005 , 08:46 PM
Subscriber
the anatomy is quite a bit off.

you should get more refs and remodel your base mesh.

then detail in ZBuser added image

# 3 28-12-2005 , 09:23 PM
Are you planning on animating this character? If so the arms should extend horizontally to the sides with palms facing downward. This may help you to fit some shoulders in there too.

I think there is hope for your character, and I think it is pretty good if for instance you were not looking at an anatomy book as a guide. Not to mention having all of that school work to boot! I do have to agree with vladmirjp though in that the proportions are off (legs need to be lengthened, head in profile shortened, feet in profile lengthened, wrists thinned, etc.), but a good effort none the less!

It's tempting to want to quickly add detail right away to a model because worrying about proportions seems like a dull detail, especially in the early stages when your model is not looking like what you want it to but more like a blob. However, try to have patience in making sure the proportions are correct. It is the framework that will support your cool detailing in the near future.
Also, less is more; try to see how much you can tweak basic geometry before you add alot of detail to it.
user added image

# 4 28-12-2005 , 09:34 PM
thanks for the tips.. yeah i know it isn't really like a real body.. will try to fix it and use more references user added image

I don't know anything about animation but i want to learn that also.. is there any reason in particular that you need to have the hands facing down?

# 5 28-12-2005 , 10:31 PM
I think it is easier to place the bones in the model with the hands down, IMO. May also be easier to edit the weight maps or edit membership. Sometimes when you bind your geometry to the bones parts of your geometry will get bound to bones that are completely unrelated, especially if your geometry is sorta close together etc.
Although sometimes people will model humanoid characters with a slight bend to the limbs and fingers so that there is a more realistic flexing of the geometry.
If you are just starting out though just make it easier on yourself and keep things simple.

# 6 28-12-2005 , 11:10 PM
Subscriber
Not bad, as said before, some of the base modeling is off. One part that jumps at me is the shot from behind. The entire shoulder and upper back region just seem weird. I'd take a look at more reference photos.