Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 12-06-2006 , 03:59 PM
Subscriber

3d creative magazine/gnomon dvds

is this worth buying the magazine subscription ? I wanted to get it for the tutorials are they in detail or just broad ? thanks for all the helps

also anyone use gnomon dvds any good ? do they come with reference images on dvds or what ..any help would be appreciated ...

just wondering is all.

# 2 12-06-2006 , 04:36 PM
I have two very basic gnomon dvds, (Basics and Workflow I believe) and they are great. I would definetly buy more if I had the money, and the cds come with all sorts of extras, and they are very long.

# 3 12-06-2006 , 05:29 PM
Subscriber
does the basics give reference images to make the model ? or what ? kinda like SM ...

# 4 12-06-2006 , 06:08 PM
I would assume that the Modeling ones do. The ones I have just explain Maya's interface, and how to get really quick with hotkeys, and such.

# 5 12-06-2006 , 09:23 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Ive found the gnomon ones a bit of a lottery to be honest in the past, as a friend of mine has a couple, the head modelling using a nurb cylinder was errrrrr....interesting, and a couple of rigging ones as well were a little unorthodox. But that aside the newer stuff looks great especially the matte series and digital sets too.

As for the 3d creative mag, bloody hell, YES!!! Its great as is the 2d one theres always stuff in those to make you want to go a bit better every time!!

Jay

# 6 12-06-2006 , 09:44 PM
Subscriber
okay thanks jay for the magazine info .. I will order on issue ..is there a good one to order , one in the past ?

# 7 12-06-2006 , 09:45 PM
Subscriber
I have 2 gnomon videos. One was just the basic interface, and the other was a humanoid modeling. It's not bad, the quality is really good, but it doesn't get finished. It says there's part 2, but I emailed them and they said what's his name didn't make a second one afterall. That kind of sucked, but it gave me a general idea of how to start a model, but I still have a hard time finishing a model.

# 8 12-06-2006 , 10:03 PM
Subscriber
well hmmmmmmmmm not sure if I will get antying from them ...just a couple i was looking at ..i have alot of video's from here which i could not live without just wondering what others look like

# 9 13-06-2006 , 03:39 PM
I'm thinking of buying all the dynamic dvd's cause this seems to be the only good dynamics tutorial set avaible (i hope it isn't too outdated) I did saw the Digital Enviroment set at a friend, but here's my problem with these (i don't know if it's the same with all but..) the dvd's are quite long, but it doens't really make a project from beginning to the end like SM, but it talks about different methods etc. this is quite informative sometimes, but it doesn't help ME to do it very well cause he can say THIS is a good technique but if i don't know how to do it it doesn't really help me. Like on the first dvd: tracking, modelling and camera or something.. i thought the guy would explain how to track it, how to bring it into maya how to build all the models, and then do the camera etc. Then in part 2 you would texture it, part 3 lightning etc. But it's just methods, nothing really is getting done.

I hope some of the modelling dvd's aren't like this, cause else i strongly prefer those of SM. user added image

# 10 13-06-2006 , 03:53 PM
Subscriber
well I know for a fact maya -student the ones on here are far beyond what i expected , they are only ones i have bought other than digital tutors ... and talk you threw beginning to end ...alot of good ones too ..too many to mention ...but they dont leave you hanging on anything too hard you cant figure out but basically they are very good . They will show you how or at least show you the wireframe so you can see how they did the other parts

I just basically wondered about other dvds ..thanks for your reply it helps me