Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 07-01-2010 , 08:32 PM
Subscriber

exporting shaders between scenes

Hi all. I have an idea to put some ropes in the scene I am working on, and I remember that I created a nice rope shader with displacement in an old scene of mine. How do you go about exporting shaders from one scene to another? I had a go at selecting the shader in question and hitting 'export with network', or 'export network'. I saved it in to the shaders folder of the renderData folder of the scene I want to use it in, and Maya put an obj and an mtl file there. In the hypershade in the current scene I went to import, but importing the obj file brought in a whole load of geometry from the original scene (the one i want to take the shader from), and trying the mtl file, maya tells me it is an unrecognized file type. (which is a lie? surely maya knows what an mtl file is, even if it just doesnt want to open one.)

anybody done this or know how its done?

# 2 07-01-2010 , 09:51 PM
Subscriber
Try doing the export again but save it out as a .ma (maya ascii) file.

I've found it to be more reliable for such tasks in the past.

Cheers,
Chris

# 3 08-01-2010 , 12:36 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Chris. Ok. Will give that a go..

Ben