Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 27-10-2003 , 07:41 AM

Nurbs or Polygons??

Hi out,

I'm a complete noobie at Maya. I'm trying to make a little animated movie using Maya for a school project.

My main character is a caveman, and I'm wondering whether to use Polygons, Nurbs or Sub dv.s

What are the pros and cons??

I have been doing turials modeling in the above mentioned, but haven't yet figured out what to use.

If anyone knows any relevant tutorials then plz. let me know.

Thanks in advance and for a great forum

Mr. B

# 2 27-10-2003 , 07:55 AM
The Maya Mountain
It's all a matter of preference, and the pros and cons of each have been discussed here numerous times. I'm sure you could find one of them with a search.

As for me, as most everyone knows user added image, I prefer polys.

# 3 27-10-2003 , 10:46 PM
I prefer polys.

...and that is how I saved the world.
# 4 28-10-2003 , 12:27 AM
Subscriber
If you want to keep it easy use poly or sub d, if you want to get more into it, use nurbs.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 5 28-10-2003 , 03:37 PM

Polygons

I'm also new to maya, but in my short time working with it i've learned that polygons are the easiest right, but the only problem is, you really dont want to animate with polygons.. it turns out more blocky then then realistic, the best thing you can animate with is nurbs

# 6 28-10-2003 , 03:49 PM
The Maya Mountain
I'd have to disagree. I've seen plenty of good animations using polygons. But to each his own.

# 7 28-10-2003 , 04:23 PM
Subscriber
Mikes right, blocky-ness isnt a problem in poly modelling with maya. Maya has a great smooth and triangulation function that really smooths out the poly. Even with low poly you can smooth your normals and look good. If you cant handle the high amount of geometry on your pc, when your finishing your model, try converting to sub-D instead of smooth. This brings tensellation into your geometry so that its only calculated in the render. If that still doesnt float your boat, then try Nurbs surfaces. when stitched properly they give the best results for high resolution animation and stills. But, be warry, Nurbs are not something you can handle on the fly. it takes a lot more patience to plan, model and perfect your surfaces. Most people who don't need to do heavy duty print media like me, find that nurbs are too much work for what you get. But, i like the challenge.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>