Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 136 06-10-2009 , 03:39 PM
Yeah, it will be when it's done, just used the S&S for the quick render, although I did actually consider doing it as a daytime scene at one point, who's to say monsters only come out at night! lol

I have read about using Sun and Sky for night scenes, but have no idea how to do that, so may look into it at some point.
But I will stick with the night time,and other lighting for now, just don't want to get into the lighting til the texturing is near finished.

Last edited by Dango77; 06-10-2009 at 03:42 PM.
# 137 07-10-2009 , 10:41 PM
Not far off having everything with a base texture on it, then I'll start adding more detailing, cleaning up the textures where needed etc.
Not looking forward to doing the Uv's for the fire escapes, so many little bits on them. I think that's the only part that needs the Uv mapping done though so will have to do it sometime soon! Oh, that and the pipes, not looking forward to those either as I haven't a clue as to the best way of doing them. Cylindrical mapping won't work on the curved parts... lol

Attached Thumbnails
# 138 08-10-2009 , 12:52 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
The pipes shouldn't be too difficult... neither should the fire escape... just time consuming.

You should have UV mapped the one flight of stairs before you duplicated them to make the multi-floors, and other fire escapes.. hehe. But then, of course, everything we look the same... so you would have to use very basic textures.

Everything's looking good so far!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 139 08-10-2009 , 02:06 AM
EduSciVis-er

Originally posted by Mayaniac
You should have UV mapped the one flight of stairs before you duplicated them to make the multi-floors, and other fire escapes

You can just transfer the UV attributes, so shouldn't be too much extra work.

# 140 08-10-2009 , 08:24 AM
Steve:

Thanks! Yeah, have been kicking myself a bit that I didn't map some of the parts as I went, oh well, you live and learn!

It shouldn't be too bad doing the mapping on them,as you said, just time consuming. And actually, if I'd layed out the Uv's then duplicated each object, I could've then selected the U'v's of the duplicated objects separately and just pulled them away from the original in the Uv editor, thus being able to apply different textures to each object!
Have done that with several parts of this model, quite handy, just wish I'd thought of it before doing the fire escapes!

The pipes I'm just unsure of how to map the corners properly, any ideas anyone?

Stwert:

Thanks man, that will be a time saver for sure, hadn't thought of that!!

# 141 08-10-2009 , 01:30 PM
Subscriber
Looking very cool indeed. I am loving the background.

One thing though - the poses of the creatures all look very stiff and you main character looks as if hes just walking to the shop. I think once you got the textures done you need to think more on the poses. Make them look more like they are reacting to one another.

Keep it up

# 142 08-10-2009 , 02:20 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
ah, the pipes are easy... What you want do is a projection mapping for the UVs... pick an angle that covers the most surface... but you also want it to be flat, so a top view would be best.

Once you've created the UVs, select the edge loop that runs along the inside of the pipe (the bit that will be facing the building) and then split the UVs along the selected edge... It's the button in the UV texture editor... the one with he scissors on it.

Then simply select the UVs, and unfold them, in the UV texture editor: Tool> Smooth UV Tool. There will be two little buttons, one says 'unfold' the other 'smooth'. Use the unfold... now when I did this just now on my comp.... it unfolded it out really nicely... granted there may be a couple of UVs you might want to straighten up... but that's easy.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 143 09-10-2009 , 11:50 AM
Thanks Tweety, Yeah, the poses of the Smilers are just temporary, once I've got all the texturing done I will import some rigged ones and spend some time posing them better, the guy I'm afraid to say will be staying as he is, the casualness of his pose is the idea for the whole scene really.

Steve:

Cheers for the info, it will be really helpful!

Hopefully should have everything textured soon! Hopefully....lol!

# 144 18-10-2009 , 12:31 PM
Been away for a week so not been able to do anything much 3d wise, but started playing about with some lighting this morning, need to make loads of adjustments, do some more texture work, and add some blinds or curtains at the windows, but am back at it, so hopefully will make some good progress over the next day or two.

Attached Thumbnails
# 145 24-10-2009 , 10:43 AM
Got the lighting almost the way I want it now, but going to have to get to work on the texturing again as the lights have dulled the it a bit. Here's a link to a large version of it at the moment.

Alley Scene Lighting Test

# 146 24-10-2009 , 01:04 PM
I don’t know if this is just me but i think ground looks pretty smooth and shiny, if I may suggest a Bump Map user added image

but overall i think this scene looks Great

user added image

Autume Challenge Nov 09

Moving Forward
# 147 24-10-2009 , 07:22 PM
EduSciVis-er
Not quite sure I understand how the light on the left is illuminating backwards to the wall? Bouncing off the pipe? Other than that, looks great to me.

# 148 24-10-2009 , 11:43 PM
Cheers Lion I,
yeah, the ground is a bit shiny, will try getting a decent bump down on that first, then move onto some of the other textures after.
Have started on something else that had been put on hold for a while so will be trying to do the two projects at the same time.
Hope that works out! lol

Thanks Stwert, not too sure if it is that light that is illuminating onto that wall, it may be the one from the lamppost on the right hand side of the screen, although maybe not as it's so far away and it does have a decay to it, will have to do some tests and see what's happening there. Thanks for pointing that out!

# 149 25-10-2009 , 11:46 PM
Subscriber
Hey Dango77, nice work so far, better than my one! user added image

My main job is being a Cameraman for industry and advertisement and my work is to tell a story which people can understand and follow.
The other main aspekt from this work is to bring the people in an intended emotional state. In most cases to buy things! user added image

I try to feel an emotion when I see your pic and how you placed your monsters you want to create fear for them.
In my opinion only one Monster should be in that scene and sneak from background to the man who want´s after work drive home with his car.
You the viewer of that pic knows more than the man and you wish that the man can survive. the first thrilling emotion is born!
the scene looks awesome and thats the reason for my writing!!!
But if you imagine that it is night and the menace lives in the neighbourhood, then you could make the light more uneven as you light the scene in the way of " that was a lot of work and I will that you see that" in fact the atmosphere should be not normal, theres unnormal danger in the near.
probably look at terminator when the t1000 arrives, light is fogy and materialized, hard contrasts and a more bluish color. try to make your scene more cold and create a color contrast through the warm lights.

hope it makes sense what I writing, but I know people could make more impressive work, when they do think about of human behavior and his psychology!
The main task in creating films is to understand the human beeing.
the same for every art in world...

keep track and probably look at my thread in this forum, there I trying to make atmospheres too, less impressiv of course..

Last edited by Mayastatic; 25-10-2009 at 11:54 PM.
# 150 27-10-2009 , 02:59 PM
Thanks Mayastatic!

All of what you wrote was very useful, I will keep in mind what you were saying about the contrast of atmosphere, I will give it a go by changing the light colours for a slightly colder feel, I understand what you were saying about only having one monster approaching from behind, and considered that originally, but the idea is that he isn't scared. He's not at all worried in fact, because he's about to kick their asses!
I guess both ways would work, but I'll most likely stick with it the way it is for now. I'm working on some other bits now anyway, so will be leaving this for a short while and coming back to it in the future.
But thanks for you comments and crits, they are very much appreciated!