Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 05-12-2012 , 05:42 PM
EduSciVis-er
What about the retopo in Zbrush, rick? I haven't used 3D-coat myself, but I've trying to develop a workflow to cleanup and then retopo CT scan data in Z. I'll post some screens of the skull and skin I did in my BMC thread later on.

# 17 06-12-2012 , 04:40 AM
Why not just ZProject about 6 subdivs of the mesh onto a bust base mesh? I can get scan data on perfect topo in about 20 min. I have gotten numerous heads out of 123D and done it that way. Is solid and works awesome.

As for stwert who is making weird objects just go the route of using the zsphere and retopo over the object. That is also a fairly easy way to go.

Last edited by Chavfister; 06-12-2012 at 10:40 AM.
# 18 06-12-2012 , 03:29 PM
Technical Director
Two things.

1) I didn't have zBrush
2) I didn't have a decent base mesh, so I decided to make a new one

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 19 06-12-2012 , 04:20 PM
EduSciVis-er

As for stwert who is making weird objects just go the route of using the zsphere and retopo over the object.

Yes. Yes I am making weird objects. Right now I'm painting osteoclasts.

John, you said you had 4K textures, are you going to post a textured version?

# 20 06-12-2012 , 04:31 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Zbrush for retopo, nah....

3d coat is far superior.

John: Again great job, you've shown what can be achieved with the use of 'new toys'. I'd love to see some retopo by the guys the old fashion way to appreciate the alleged Zbrush way.....its very clear from this thread, the non aprreciation of what youve achieved without the other software.

Looks like I taught you well mate user added image

Jay

# 21 06-12-2012 , 06:55 PM
Technical Director

Looks like I taught you well mate user added image

That you did mate, that you did. user added image

# 22 07-12-2012 , 04:31 AM
Technical Director
Yes, I'm well aware of how to do this in zBrush; I simply did not have access to it. Also, as I said above, I did not have a base mesh that I was happy with; something that your method requires.

John, you said you had 4K textures, are you going to post a textured version?

I did, but I'm hesitant to post them, as it's of a real person. I have permission from the company to post my results, but I don't have permission from the actual model.

Last edited by NextDesign; 07-12-2012 at 04:41 AM.
# 23 07-12-2012 , 05:20 AM
And you clearly stated that. I was simply providing the workflow so other people could do it. Then others on the forum can have their own heads as well.

# 24 07-12-2012 , 07:03 AM
Technical Director

And you clearly stated that. I was simply providing the workflow so other people could do it. Then others on the forum can have their own heads as well.

Sure, I just assumed that was directed at me.

# 25 07-12-2012 , 11:54 AM
Isnt that video the one by Ryan Kingslien??

I have seen that head before.

J

# 26 07-12-2012 , 12:28 PM
You are correct jay. It is the scan data head. I had it left over from my ZBrushworkshops subscription. Was a good refresher. I comp'd up my own head after that one. Might do some more of these. The entire vid was recorded by me in about a 30 min window last night . The biggest downside to what Kingslien teaches is that he hardly ever uses PS. So Zapplink I had to learn elsewhere and the final comp job I sorted out from a eat3d sss tut. I debated at the end of the vid to bring it into maya and do the SSS but I wanted to stick to my 30 min work rule.

Last edited by Chavfister; 07-12-2012 at 02:19 PM.
# 27 07-12-2012 , 12:41 PM
That is pretty amazing. I really need to learn ZB!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 28 08-12-2012 , 10:13 AM
I just wanted to add something that I should of put in my last post...

Firstly, Ive found that scan data slightly bloats the subject matter if its a human subject as we cant stand still long enough while we get scanned (unless in a vice LOL) so dont ever treat them as a given, they will get you probably 85 to 90% there, so its really worth using ref into image planes to and lining them up as well in the scene.
Myself and another senior modeler recently did some stuff for the movie Enders Game and had to do digi double heads for two of the principle cast members, my friend and colleague was given a very hi res scan and ref images and I had to do it all from photos only. The scan was done by a well known company yet because the actor had moved in the process, there were problems with matching etc. What we did do was take the scan into 3dcoat and project it onto a generic base mesh (one button click) and it matched the base to the scan really quite well. It took 3days of getting to the point where it matched really well, and myself another two days manually.

My point is that the downside with all this nice projecting is the calculating for edge loops will need reworking/moving everytime, ie; mouth corners, eye corners, eye lid thickness etc. AND to cap that off, no head is symmetrical so forget mirroring the mesh across just to get it done...thats the first sign of cg and is the lazy way out!!!!

So what Im saying is to everyone, its a great way to get you started on the road to match for match likeness, but just be aware the process IS NOT a clean one. So the more ref you can use, the better the result at the end of the day.

123d is a good bit of kit for the home user wanting to try it out and see what they can achieve.

Sorry if this puts a dampner on the whole subject, but I want people to realise theres work involved and its not going to be quick.

So before attempting to do it the quick way, learn to appreciate the old fashioned way, learn the real fundamentals, then when you do the quick way you'll know know exactly what to correct and how. its like when people rely on an auto mapper for uvs...its the same principle....

Sorry to clog the thread John, just need to give an eyeopener

cheers
Jay (grouchy senior modeler)

# 29 08-12-2012 , 05:35 PM
Technical Director
No problem Jay. I'm not saying that 3d scanning is the de-facto way. Even with this 3d scan, I needed to manually model a good portion of the lips, the entire eye region, and the ear. If it was just clicking a button in zBrush, companies wouldn't need people like me or you to clean it up user added image On top of the scan data, I was given over 100 reference images that not only helped in the texturing process, but also gave me invaluable reference when modeling the parts that the scan had missed. I even wrote a program that will align a 3d model to an image plane, a la PF-Track, just to help me. I'm sure you know how much of a pain it is to line them up manually.

Last edited by NextDesign; 08-12-2012 at 05:37 PM.
# 30 08-12-2012 , 06:16 PM
Hey John I know you werent mate, I was referring to the cleanup generally, you know where Im coming from, I wanted to state to the other guys here that its not just about fast fancy button pushing. Theres is actually more work involved that people dont realise when someone says reproject!! Its not that straight forward as you know....

Again good job

J