Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 24-06-2011 , 05:08 PM

Need guidance on smoothing

Hey guys,
I am just starting a new animation studio as a campus venture. My first project is to model the entire college campus tat comes to around 9-10 buildings(around 2 acres). I am just finding the trouble on how to start the model. I did some architecture in 3ds max, in tat i did not smooth the model(meshsmooth to be exact). My instructor told me not to then. I did one more house model in maya which had some fine smooth edges so my instructor told to smooth the model. So i went on adding edges so tat when smoothed the model will hold together and the rendering would be quite good. Now i have a choice to make whether or not to smooth the model(i.e, campus model). If i do smooth the model, the number of faces would be really large and my pc does not support. So i need some guidence on how to start ??

# 2 24-06-2011 , 05:56 PM
The thin red line
Don't smooth, use the bevel tool with soften edge when you want a rounded edge, also make each building in there own layer so you can hide it when not in shot..........dave

# 3 24-06-2011 , 06:37 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. Will do it :-) .. I thought of doing the buildings separately and importing everything at render time .. That is a good option right ??

# 4 24-06-2011 , 09:54 PM
The thin red line
I would do as I suggested in 1 scene but different layers, if you do it like you say when you do a animation you will have to stop the render when you need another building or write a script to do that........dave

# 5 25-06-2011 , 05:29 AM
Yeah will try to do as u suggested ...