Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-05-2017 , 01:30 PM

Skinning seperate meshes

Hey everbody,

i have a problem skinning a character! I started off with having the head and the body as two seperate meshes to make rigging the face easier. I put a lot of work in the face rig based on joints and blendshapes. The topology of head and body match perfectly so i did'nt thought it would be a problem to attatch the head rig to the body rig.. Turns out its not so easy! user added image
I smooth bound the body rig (simple HIK rig) to the body mesh. Then i attatched the bones of the body rig to my head mesh over Add Influences. This worked great as well and i am able to paint weights on body and head mesh! The problem is, that i cant get a smooth transition between the two meshes no matter how much i copy vertex weights. In the image i attatched you can see, the vertecies at the transition have exactly the same weights and as far as i know this should do the trick!
The more i rotate the armjoint the bigger the gap between the two edgeloops.
I copied the two meshes, deleted the history and bound only the body rig to both, this way i dont have any problems and the transition works perfectly.
If you have any idea what might cause the problem, please let me know. Right now i am at the point of throwing it all over and start from scratch! A lot of work... user added image

Thanks for your time! I know this is a long text user added image
Cheers, FBra

Attached Thumbnails