Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 29-03-2007 , 12:17 AM

animating light

just like to know to the animate flickering lights?

like for example the lights along the airfield runway, flickering lights in a room or even switching off the lights in a scene

# 2 29-03-2007 , 01:28 AM
Subscriber
theres a million ways and what you have asked is very general, theres a difference beten lighting effects and lights going on and off.

you can key the 'intensity' from your channel box.., at the proper frame (of yor choice) select the 'intensity' of the light in the channel box, it will go black next to its numeric reading, right click and select 'key selected' and then move to the next key where you want the intensity to change and do the same but remember, the light will raise or drop in a linear way (gradually) from one key to the next. You would have to key again the frame just before you want the change to happen if you want it to 'switch off' or you could key 'visibility' in the channel box, visibility in just as it suggests, it is visble until you key it to off.

hope this makes sense, Im sure someone will make it a little clearer for you.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 3 29-03-2007 , 04:06 PM
hmm thks for your help
actually i am trying to create a scene where there is the flash of a camera

trying out different lights but not sure how to simulate this effect anyone has any idea?

# 4 29-03-2007 , 05:18 PM
Subscriber
ummm?? you didnt get the gist eh?? OK more clearer.., I assumed you already had a good knowledge of maya and i am still assuming that...

this series of images is a little different than the test 24 frames I did.., this set starts at frame 1 but the test I did in after effects stared at fame 5 or 6 just so I could see the camera for a moment before the flash goes off.., but the principle is exactly the same.., just move it forward a few frames is all

OK..

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 29-03-2007 , 05:19 PM
Subscriber
the above is a camera and a plane with a blinn on (no particular reason, just seemed a good thing to do

this image has the intensity of the spotlight at frame one keyed at '0'

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 29-03-2007 , 05:23 PM
Subscriber
this is keyed at frame two withe the intensity at '10'

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 29-03-2007 , 05:30 PM
Subscriber
you are going to have to do a lot more than this if you want a proper 'flash' like maybe key an area light or ambient light so the whole room lights up as the flash goes off and you will have to map the fog (thats the picture here) to get that look when light passes through glass, you know have a look at a torch beam on the wall, its not all flat light, theres highlights, dark spots, ect.., anyway, you need to add fog for obvious reasons.., so you get a beam of light.

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 29-03-2007 , 05:32 PM
Subscriber
frame one is just a camera, at frame two looks like this

Attached Thumbnails

# 9 29-03-2007 , 05:33 PM
Subscriber
at about frame 4 looks like this (I dont know something like 0.2 of a second??)

Attached Thumbnails

# 10 29-03-2007 , 05:34 PM
Subscriber
the last keyed frame before the intensity is keyed to '0' again looks like this, again around 0.2 of a second

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 29-03-2007 , 05:37 PM
Subscriber
as I said, theres much more you will have to do to make it look real

over to someone else now

good luck

# 12 30-03-2007 , 01:56 AM
thks alot for the mini tutorial

it certainly helped me alot , i will work on it !