Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 12-05-2009 , 11:20 AM
Subscriber

Cartoon Man

Hey this is my first attempt at a character

so any crits are very welcome!

user added image

user added image

user added image

and a smoothed version-

user added image

# 2 12-05-2009 , 07:58 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Have to say it's a good first start, just finish this as best you can and start on another, i would consider buying the gi joe tutorial here from what i can see it's not to realistic which gives you some freedom with proportions and such.

Also take a look at other peoples work especially their wireframes and look what they do(different).

Good luckuser added image

# 3 12-05-2009 , 08:14 PM
Subscriber
Ok thanks very much!

can i ask you to point out extactly whats wrong?i know the chest needs work but what else needs work?

# 4 12-05-2009 , 09:06 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
to be quite honest there's much work to be done if you want to create a believeable character, but as i said before, finish your first model as best as you can and start on the next one follow a couple of tutorials and after a certain amount of time you will develope an eye for it.

# 5 12-05-2009 , 09:08 PM
Subscriber
ok cheers!

well i just downloaded that GI tut so ill have a crack at that now!

# 6 12-05-2009 , 11:09 PM
One major thing that i missed out when i start doing 3D ... start by learning anatomy and if you have project of makin` buildings spend some time learning physics and some blueprints....

My point is that before you start modeling figure out the anatomy then make concept and go for it. ( even i can't draw from about 1-2 month i don't get into modeling if i don't have the idea drawn or have reff )

# 7 12-05-2009 , 11:15 PM
Subscriber
Thank you yeah ive realised i need to focus alot more on the anatomy!

I have started to draw and study the anatomy but i guess i have a long way to go lol

# 8 12-05-2009 , 11:45 PM
Subscriber
Thank you yeah ive realised i need to focus alot more on the anatomy!

I have started to draw and study the anatomy but i guess i have a long way to go lol