Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 16-12-2004 , 08:38 PM

particle rendering

i have recentlly got a new PC. for some reason when i try to render particles it an error message comes up that says
Warning: Hardware rendering selected for particleShape1. Skipped......and when i look at the finished render the particles are not there. actually it works for the blobby surface and cloud particles but for some reason when i put the particle render type to MultiStreak, Streak or Point, they don't show up in the finished render and that same error message pops up. "Warning: Hardware rendering selected for particleShape1. Skipped."
could there be something wrong with my video card?
or maybe i don't got the right video card?
or maybe it is just a plugin that i need?
could someone PLEASE tell me what is wrong here?
THANX FOR YOUR HELP!user added image

# 2 17-12-2004 , 04:57 PM
Subscriber
Some particles like blobby, cloud, and tube particles need to be rendered by your default maya renderer (possibly works with mental ray, idk), as indicated by the capital SW next to them. The rest need to be rendered by your hardware renderer (e.g. multistreak, point, etc.). So it sounds like you have software renders going, and are trying to render hardware particles. Either use the hardware renderer, or switch particle types

# 3 17-12-2004 , 05:07 PM
so u r saying i can only use the software renderer for certain particles?
even when i try to hardware render certain particles like the mulit streak or points ........that same error pops up...it is alomst like may PC is not letting me use hardware rendering or something.......ithink i am confusing myself now................................does anyone know of any books or sites were i can learn how to render........

# 4 17-12-2004 , 05:10 PM
why cant this thing just render what i tell it to render........what is the difference between software and hardware rendering?
i am just a newbie guys.........! i know........... i am as dumb as i sound......... could someone please undumb me.........

# 5 18-12-2004 , 10:17 PM
Subscriber
well, not really rendering, though I can recommend Learning Maya 6: dynamics. I found it to be very enlightening. I can't imagine why your computer wouldn't render these particles if you actually have it set on hardware render, though check render globals, and also go to Render>>render using>>hardware renderer. Sometimes maya forgets to change that. If it still doesn't work, THe only thing I can think of is your graphics card, but I've never heard of that being a problem in this way. I'm sorry I can't help you more.

# 6 19-12-2004 , 12:12 AM
hey thanxs man. i finally figured it out. it works perfect. oh and thanks for telling me about that book. i think i just might ask for it on christmas....................PEACE OUT!

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 19-12-2004 , 04:06 AM
Subscriber
Oh, and I never really answered your question about hardware vs. software rendering. basically software rendering uses your processor, takes a long time, and has a lot of special abilities, such a raytracing. Hardware rendering uses ur grakka, goes very fast, but doesn't have raytracing or any of that cool jazz. Also I personally think software renders look better, which is unfortunate because, as you may have noticed, most particles require the hardware renderer. Though if you tweak the tube particle enough it can be pretty versatile and should handle most of the things the other types are good for.

# 8 19-12-2004 , 05:58 AM
alright thanxs for your time and cooperation. u taught me something new. user added image user added image user added image user added image user added image user added image

# 9 22-12-2004 , 09:42 PM
2 things --

1) I thought the sprite render mode was also able to be rendered software mode, but is compatible with both.
2) You can render layers. Basically, I always have quicktime pro handy on my computer, and I export everything as Targa files with alpha channel. You'll end up with multiple images per frame, but then again you can render the particles in 1, another object in another, etc., and as long as you're not refracting/reflecting objects which aren't in Maya (Ex: If you're compositting over live footage) it should work like a charm.

Quite obviously, doing the magnifying glass effect over footage which never actually was raytraced will not be distorted when you mix it all together. Hard to explain... easy to see.

# 10 31-12-2005 , 01:01 AM

To MayaKid-

So, what was it that got it to eventually work? I'm having the same problem and i have maya set to render in hardware...if you don't have a solution, then I'm guessing it indeed is the video card.

THANKS IN ADVANCE>

# 11 31-12-2005 , 10:56 AM
If it wont render even though its set to hardware render then its most likely your graphics card, hardware rendering's only supported by alias on a few cards (check out the qualification charts on alias website for more info)

Also it might be worth seeing if your card's drivers have been updatred as this can sometimes get round the problem of it not rendering in hardware, this worked for me!!

Phopojijo, I thought that the sprite rendering (llike the buit in smoke) could only be hardware rendered?? Have to have a look into that one.

Like you say rendereing in layers is the way to go, i personally use after effects, theres a good tutorial in the free section here about using the render layers and compositing them into a shot.

# 12 31-12-2005 , 04:58 PM
Ok, then it looks like I have no choice but to buy a new card. To be honest, I went and bought a new card last night for home, a GeForce 6600...I know nothing about cards but hope this will suffice.

THANKS!

# 13 31-12-2005 , 05:23 PM
Mines a gforce something and its ok

# 14 01-01-2006 , 11:02 PM

Originally posted by gster123
Phopojijo, I thought that the sprite rendering (llike the buit in smoke) could only be hardware rendered?? Have to have a look into that one.

I actually can't remember what I was talking about (last year) -- but no Sprites I don't think can be done in software (without a complicated MELScript and Maya dynamics)

# 15 02-01-2006 , 12:11 AM
Thanks for the info!