Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-03-2004 , 08:04 PM
Subscriber

Trying to model a phone

I notice I'm not the first person to try and do this but never mind. I'm trying to model the phone below in as much detail as I can manage. I've never really tried anything this complex before and I've run into a few problems.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I might be able to model that circular indentation at the top with the call/cancel and menu buttons. I started with the basic shape as a polygon cube so I'm not quite sure of the best way to get that circular look.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Chris

user added image

# 2 27-03-2004 , 09:41 PM
I would use a squashed poly sphere, and adjust the u/v's to suit what you want and creat the indentations with the u/v sections.

# 3 27-03-2004 , 10:13 PM
The Maya Mountain
I'd probably use the split poly tool to cut in the shape and go from there.

# 4 29-03-2004 , 02:48 AM
yeah i'd go with the Split method myself... actually you can use other methods as well... just depends on what works easiest for you. hoping im not too late on this post ? lol

<-- click
* 3D Animator
* Abstract Designer
* Theme Skinner
* Admin & Owner " FiberOPticz "
# 5 29-03-2004 , 03:45 AM
Subscriber
Hi again, thanks for the tips everyone.
A bit of an update - This is what it looks like at the moment:

user added image user added image

The split polygon tool seemed to work really well once I started with half a sphere instead of trying to split the main shape. I extruded the edge of the sphere out a bit and split around the buttons, then cut the same shape out of the main phone shape and attached the two together. The other buttons were split and extruded. I'm a bit concerned that I've done this in the wrong order now as I'm having trouble smoothing the edges with the smooth polygon tool without screwing up all the finer details. Should I have done this first or is there a way to smooth out particular bits?

# 6 29-03-2004 , 06:09 AM
The Maya Mountain
Looks like it's coming along. Don't forget to round those edges. user added image

# 7 29-03-2004 , 04:27 PM
Looks very nice user added image
I dont thingk you need so many sections though on the thivkness, looks like eight, if their is no detail their you can maybe reduce it to 3 or something to cut down on the polys.

# 8 11-04-2004 , 01:05 AM
Subscriber
Hope you don't mind if I drag this up to the top again. I'd be lying if I said I've been working solidly on this but I keep coming up against the same sort of problems when trying to smooth parts of the model. It's hard to explain this in text, mabe I'll upload some pictures if no one knows what I'm on about. If I smoth a group of faces the whole model becomes strange shades of gray, am I right in thinking this is something to do with normals pointing the wrong ways? I have played with the edit polygons -> normals menu options and 'set to face' seems to sort out the problem but leaves everything with really really sharp edges. Does anyone know what I should try next? Thanks all.

# 9 11-04-2004 , 01:08 AM
Subscriber
Attach picture didn't seem to work on that one, here's what it looks like at the moment, I'm trying to round those top corners off but leave the bottom edge of them fairly sharp.

Attached Images