Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 20-07-2005 , 04:14 AM
Subscriber

First contribution, WIP

This is a plane of sorts of my own design (a bit too cartoony to appear in "Crimson Skies", I'm afraid! :-) )

Anyway, it is the first of several models I hope I can share with all of you!

I didn't spend a whole lot of time lighting it and just did a quick render in Mental Ray. All the control surfaces are moveable via set driven key.

All comments/constructive criticism appreciated!

Carry on...

Attached Thumbnails

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 2 20-07-2005 , 10:26 PM
Hi welcome to SM hope you get to learn loads while you're here user added image

main thing I'd say about you model is that it's a little boring, dont take that the wrong way. Add lots of little details e.g. hatches, panels, rivets etc etc use texturing such as bump/displacement maps to get those details in...

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 20-07-2005 , 10:34 PM
Subscriber
Yes, welcome to SM. And listen to pure, he knows what he is talking about. But I have a conflict in interest with your model, I cant really decide if its space age or modern or past. The turret on the bottom looks very spacey, the design looks modern, and the rivets on the plane make it look like it was made earlier. Im not saying that I dont like the diversity, or that my opinion should really matter. Im just letting you know what I see, I like the diversity actually.

# 4 20-07-2005 , 11:59 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the replies!

Pure Morning,

Funny you should mention bump and displacement maps...I DID use them! Guess I under-did it, as you really can't see them, but I am just now getting used to using them at all. And I think you're right about it needing more detail. I already see where I might add some...!

And don't worry, I need all the constructive criticism I can get!

Alienscience,

I actually had in mind something out of the past...as if Raymond Loewy designed an art deco fighter circa 1936. The portholes obviously are a personal affectation (as a former pilot myself, I know such wouldn't be practical)...as it is, the model is based on a sketch I did on the (NYC) subway...

Thanks again for the replies! I will post subsequent revisions as I do them...

Carry on...!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 5 21-07-2005 , 01:35 AM
I just had to give you thumbs up for using Raymond Loewy as a creative reference. Its not too often I meet some one who knows who he was or what a huge influence he had on industrial design.

Cool design so far. I agree with the extra detail comment. The engines , in particular could use some vents or pipes or somethin'.

I'll keep an eye on this one!

Dave