Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 21-04-2005 , 04:01 PM
Subscriber

Dragon

It's been far too long since i last looked round here, but today i decided it was time to fire up maya again and have ago at making something and as you probably guessed from the title it's going to be a dragon. So here's the basic shape roughed out.

EDIT: - btw, it's based on a toy of my brothers.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 21-04-2005 , 04:09 PM
great start ..... looking forward to more. I like how the wings are shaping up already.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 21-04-2005 , 06:41 PM
Subscriber
Thanks. I know it's not really a big update but as part of the joys of sharing a room with your younger brother is that i have to give up my workspace at 9PM so i'm finished with it for tonight. In the morning i'll try and start defining some muscle and his armour.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 21-04-2005 , 11:18 PM
what geometry did you use??? legs and arms look good stiched to the body.user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
--Albert Einstein
# 5 22-04-2005 , 07:42 AM
Subscriber
I just used four NURBS cylinders to get the shape and now i've converted them to polys so i can weld them together and start to detail. The same method as Kurt uses in his tutorials.

# 6 22-04-2005 , 08:36 AM
Subscriber
Welcome back.. LOL neet looking so far

# 7 22-04-2005 , 02:06 PM
Subscriber
Thanks, hopefully it'll look alot better when finished. One problem with going over to max for a couple of months is that now i've started using maya again i keep using all the max shortcuts and wondering why their not working, although i'm told that could be due to the concussion i'm recovering from. Anyway i didn't get any of that stuff i said i was going to do done and instead shaped out his head and feet aswell as reshaping the wings. The bit that currently looks like a broken leg will end up as his ankle.

EDIT: - btw, no more updates until monday as i have some real paid work to do over the weekend.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ckyuk; 22-04-2005 at 02:09 PM.
# 8 22-04-2005 , 06:00 PM
Subscriber
can we see a mesh of that last render?
the lines look really clean
did you fillet the holes into it?

First year 3D Grad
# 9 24-04-2005 , 06:38 PM
Subscriber
Here's the wire. It's not a good mesh though because although i've managed to keep it almost all quads (just got to deal with the nose), it's a bit to dense for me.

btw, if you mean where the arms are attached i just use split poly to cut around where they join, deleted the faces and used weld verts.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ckyuk; 24-04-2005 at 06:41 PM.
# 10 24-04-2005 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber
Started to add some more shape the head and hind legs tonight.

Attached Thumbnails