Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 13-05-2003 , 05:27 AM

parent's rotation axis

i try 2 ask it another way user added image

maybe i've missed something, but i cant figure it out:
-i have a rolling cube, rotated around axisX and transformed along axisY using expression - on separated parent level. so, i've made a clip as cube rolls along axisZ. if i make a turn on the top level parent around axisY, the cubeshape turns, but adding the same clip 2 the timeline again moves the cube along world axisX, as the top level's parent is the world, i guess. if i add a parent to the current top level, than it rotates around its local axis, which means the moved cube rotates using the distance from the parent as a radius., of course.

so, is there any way, 2 make tx/tz to act as a local transformation and ty rotate around its own local axis?

thx

/h

# 2 13-05-2003 , 04:28 PM
maybe try changing the rotation /translation to object space by double clicking on the tool on the left hand side of the window and selecting "object".

hope that helps

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 14-05-2003 , 03:58 AM
thx anyway. but:

hmmm, ok, maybe i wasnt clear,
i know, i can set move tool 2 move along object's axis, but if i set up a clip 4 1 cube-roll, the clip itself contains the moving axis, which wont change, if i rotate the cube, coz tx/tz/ty r always parents axis, in this case, world's axis.. i dont want
2 make clips 4 all possible direction. that would be a pain and a shame..user added image

so i need a parent 4 the cube, but there comes the previous problem with rotation after move.

or, how can i force maya other than adding a dummy parent 2 move an object along its local axis like using channel's tx/tz/ty..

thx...

# 4 04-08-2008 , 03:44 AM
Hi,similar problem to me about rotation axis.There`s a cube in the persp view. when the cube began to rock,I would like the cube to imitate some stupid action. I wish the cube to sway while it rolls ahead,however,I find the axis is on the top of the cub. I would like the cube to sway with its botton on the ground.I display the rotation axis of the cube from the channel control and change the rotation axis number in segment of the timeline and set key .play again and find the previous animation in chaos.What is the best way to alter the rotation axis without breaking the whole animation ?