Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 91 07-05-2007 , 05:52 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
thxs for the compliment
i'm using a low poly model for animation and used a smooth proxy for the high model as a target, i don't know what a wrap deformer isuser added image
And i will look into the smooth binding thinguser added image
thanks for the advice gster.

# 92 09-05-2007 , 07:17 AM
okay, i've finally had some time to go at maya again and made an "alternative" lightsaber.
i used a sampler info node connected to a v-ramp(facing ratio-v-coord) to make it look like as if the saber has a bright core....
...but when i look at it at a slightly angular view this effect doesn't last, my question is; is there a way to maintain the bright saber core(as shown in the picture)?

I've just started making some controls to the character and i tried to make the lightsaber stick to the hand and follow the rotations of the hand.
because the saber consists out of two poly-objects i grouped them into a saber group created a locator and used a point and orient constrain so that i can move and rotate the saber with ease.
I used a SDK-control on the armcontrol to make the fist which holds the saber, i placed the saber within his "fist", created a new locator snapped it to the lightsaber -locator then orient and point-constrained the saberlocator to the newly created locator and the point and orient constrained the new locator to the arm controls.
It didn't work:headbang:
does anyone know a better way to do this?

Attached Thumbnails
# 93 09-05-2007 , 07:19 PM

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 94 10-05-2007 , 12:50 AM
thanks for the link, manuser added image
And i figured out why facing ratio didn't work==>i didn't need it was just a plain ol" ramp that did the trick :headbang:
what a good nightsleep can do to a man:p

# 95 10-05-2007 , 06:37 PM
Ok i'm getting fed up with his lightsaber now if i stay within a certain range of the lightsaber he renders just fine but when i zoom out to much it renders odd.(see picture)
I used shader glow for the glow and because the radius of th glow became to big(in my opinion) in comparisen to yoda i scaled down the saber geometry in x and z(read;radius)
thanks in advanceuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 96 12-05-2007 , 02:49 AM
Ok i've been modeling the sith a bith more and for the most part i've moddeled the scene where(i hope) all the action will take place.
I want to add some more buildings to the scene and some vehicles.
i want the building to be high in the sky, so i made 3 planes rotated them individuely and moved them in y and mapped a cloud texture to the transparency ta fake depth, but somehow it isn't working==>suggestions most welcome.
I will add a 3d container to simulate clouds on the point where the building intersects the "sky".
If someone knows how to create a realistic sky and /or knows how to light a large scene(i want the scene to be red and gloomy-sunset-) here's the place to put the knowledge
:bow:

Attached Thumbnails
# 97 12-05-2007 , 02:50 AM
and the building.....

Attached Thumbnails
# 98 12-05-2007 , 09:27 PM
Banned
i must have missed this post somehow, the render at the top of this page will look amazing once finished, gonna keep watching this thread.

# 99 13-05-2007 , 07:22 PM
@meredith: user added image

# 100 14-05-2007 , 06:53 AM
hey Mastone,

On your sith, the eyes need more definition. Could you post a wire?

# 101 14-05-2007 , 07:29 AM
i know what you mean gster, but i'm still in the roughing out stage, experimenting with textures and what not.
I appreciate the comment thoughuser added image

# 102 14-05-2007 , 07:35 AM
Personally I only would start to play with the textures once the models completed, otherwise your just going over old ground, uving, painting and whatnot.

# 103 14-05-2007 , 07:36 AM
i know what you mean gster, but i'm still in the roughing out stage, experimenting with textures and what not.
I appreciate the comment thoughuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 104 14-05-2007 , 08:27 AM
I think that you could do with adding a few more edge loops in there to get more control of how the eyes are looking, also youve got 2 tris in the temple area, if you delete the middle line that makes up the tris then youve got it back to all quads, just a thought.

also with you lightsaber, i'm sure that a while ago (poss about a year) it was discussed in the effects forum (right at the botton on the forums home page) and some one used a jiggle diformer to sort it out, might be worth a look.

# 105 14-05-2007 , 06:35 PM
Subscriber
hi, this is looking quite cool. It'll be quite a challenge to animate and choreograph a fight. Just out of curiosity, have you animated anything that complex before?
For your lightsaber glow, why not do it in post. After effects, shake etc.
That will give you a lot more control and if you want change you won't have to re-render.
There is a very good glow plugin, you can download a three week trial version for almost any composing app. and it works just like the full version when you render, no water marks or anything like that.

https://www.genarts.com/index.html

good luck