Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-04-2003 , 07:20 PM

stained glass, volumetric

Can anyone describe a quick way to get the colors of an image mapped stained glass window to show up in the light beams using LightFog?

# 2 02-05-2003 , 07:19 PM
not 100% sure but you may need to use a barn doors style technique or a cookie cutter and place the image in the colour component of the lights's attributes. try that, I would try it out for you but my machine is rendering so I cant stop it right now.

I may try later if I get a chance.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 02-05-2003 , 07:50 PM
Also might be a good idea to look at doing it in post.

A good VFX rule-of-thumb, is that unless you need to fly through it, or something TRUELY volumetric, you can do it in post with a LOT more controll, and WAY fasteruser added image

After Effects 5.5 pro bundle, for example, has a "volume-light" type of 3d light effect, that does EXACTLY this effect you wantuser added image

-Simply put a few locators in your Maya scene to help you line up the "beam".
-then save that file out as a .ma file (just the locators and camera, no geometry) (you can even ANIMATE the camera!)
-then import that into after effects
-place an After Effects light in the scene using your locators as exact guides.
-add the stained-glass image to the light color
-turn on fog
-tweak light position, and parent it to one of the locators.
-and you're done!

FIRST though, you might wanna try what Pure was saying about the lights' color channel.

It might work perfect for you.
With Maya, you never knowuser added image hehe...

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com