Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 11-10-2003 , 04:25 AM

Rendering For Maya

I know the rendering system in maya isnt the best, some say it is, some say there should be a third party involved. If the last statment is true what rendering system would be the best to get Quality out of and efficiency. thx (maya 5 unlimited)

# 2 11-10-2003 , 04:49 AM
Subscriber
I believe Mental Ray comes with Maya 5.0 and I have heard that it's a lot better providing you know how to use it. You cannot do post-rendering things like Maya fur, Paint FX, or glows however.

I've heard "Renderman" a few times, but don't know anything about it really. It's fairly popular so you might think about looking into it.

I don't own either though and just stick with the regular rendering system in Maya.

# 3 11-10-2003 , 05:37 AM
Thx for the reply man, ill keep lookin i guess

# 4 11-10-2003 , 08:24 PM
Subscriber
Renderman is awsome, and works well with Maya.
Plus you can achieve amazing fur and paricle effects.
I believe they have also lowered thier price, it's a lot more affordable now.
Takes some learning, but the help is good and it has a massive community.

# 5 11-10-2003 , 08:30 PM
The Maya Mountain
I've not had any problems with Maya's normal renderer. You may need to experiment and such, but that's the same with most renderers.

# 6 14-10-2003 , 09:13 AM
Chris_H, i think Renderman is ONLY for maya. and it is said to be the best renderer on the market, the last time i checked the version on the market is compatible with maya 4.5 not 5. Pixar will probably release that after they made use of it for a couple projects. (that's what they did with the last version) i could be wrong but its worth the research. i think mental ray is a pretty kick @$$ renderer in itself though.user added image