Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 04-12-2009 , 08:20 PM
Subscriber

how to model this shoe in Maya with curves...?

hi,
'm looking for tutorials, to create all kind of shoes...
if you known any goodones please let me know it!

i need any help with the following...
i know how to loft, & how i create curves...
but how do i cut meshes with curves?
as you could see in tutorial at link below

can someone explain the steps to do this in Maya...
'm a little bit confused with the extrude & boolian function...
https://www.daz3d.com/i/tutorial/tuto...torial?id=1177

thx for help

Attached Images
# 2 05-12-2009 , 01:20 PM

'm looking for tutorials, to create all kind of shoes...

i dont know any universal "shoe making" tutorial, but keep on looking. You will find the answer by urself.

but how do i cut meshes with curves?

You dont cut mesh with curve. You cut patchs(nurbs surface) with curves.

After selecting a curve and a surface, go to Surface menu set.
Edit NURBS > Project Curve on Surface.
The surface will be cut by the curve.

Then, select the surface again.
Goto Edit NURBS > Trim Tool.
Select the part of the surface(you will see blue point appearing after clicking) which you want to keep and then press enter.

For Boolean:
Create two objects, a circle and a cylinder(whatever), then goto Edit NURBS > Booleans.Test different combination(circle first, cylinder second or cylinder first, circle second) of selection and check what they do.There will be total 6 combinations for 2 object.

I think, you should spend some more time on practicing different tools before actually trying to make something.

# 3 05-12-2009 , 05:57 PM
Andy brown from luxology does a fine tutorial on creating a sneaker using modo. You can get the tutorial at luxology.com. It is not free although it is not expensive.

Although the tutorial is for modo most of the principles can be applied to maya.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 4 05-12-2009 , 10:16 PM
However, if you insist on going the nurbs route here is what I did...

1. Use two of the images from the website at DAZ to create the CV curves.

2. loft 3 nurbs surfaces

3. use boolean difference to cut up the pieces. Delete all history and reverse surface directions where needed.

4. add a 1/4" round fillet where the surfaces meet

I can attach the maya .ma file but it will be in maya 2010 format. .obj will not work for nurbs.

Maya nurbs modeling is not for the faint of heart. They are very finicky. I spent a good deal of time trying to get the surface fillets and had to rebuild the curves several time before maya relented and allowed them to work (lol). No matter how hard I tried I could not get the boolean operation to produce surfaces with the correct surface direction. After rebuilding the surface directions in U and V a zillion times in every combination I could think of I just gave up and deleted history and reversed the resulting surfaces to get what I wanted. Finally if you use Maya nurbs be aware that you will have to spend time analyzing the tessellation of every single surface to ensure you do not get holes or seams.

In short nurbs have pretty much been relegated to creating basic forms that can be converted to polygons and sculpted.

This is sad because I started as a nurbs modeler and for hard surface stuff nurbs give far better control and much higher precision. ALL the high end CAD surfacing apps (like studio tools) are completely nurbs based.

Here are some images to kinda show the steps. The last one is a contour plot showing the 5 surfaces (top, side, bottom, and two fillets). I did not model the straps because I did not have the surface geometry from the DAZ tutorial and they are trivial to model any ways.

user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

*updates:

- added image - used lattice deformer to narrow the heel.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 06-12-2009 at 01:43 AM.
# 5 06-12-2009 , 03:12 AM
Here is a polygon version.

I simply took the boolean of two surfaces to make the top of the sandal shape, then converted it to polygons, and cleaned it up a bit, then extruded the entire thing down, then moved some of the bottom verts to form the bottom, and finally added some bevels and edges.

This is overkill for this object. I could have cut the number of polys significantly but I had the surface geometry so I just went with it (smile).

user added image
user added image
user added image

Last edited by ctbram; 06-12-2009 at 03:31 AM.
# 6 06-12-2009 , 03:40 AM
Here is the .obj of the polygon version.

Cheers!

Attached Files
File Type: rar sandal_03.rar (15.5 KB, 271 views)

# 7 17-12-2009 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by ctbram
Here is a polygon version...

at the polygon version you've use a boolean of the surfaces..
you mean like this picture?
or do you mean like, create 2 cubes >> combine them >> & boolean. how can i create this shoe shape very fast with polygons? possible for a little more explaning of the proces?
https://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...ace_curves.jpg

about the nurbs..
can you explain what settings i'll have to use at the conversion from nurbs to polygons. everythime i did it 've got some strange edges in my polygon model... when i convert from nurbs to polygons!

MANY thx for you're support all ready!

Last edited by fixme; 17-12-2009 at 08:42 PM.
# 8 17-12-2009 , 10:26 PM
For the polygon version I just booleaned the upper cutting surface used for the nurbs version with the surface that formed the foot shape.

The image you refer too was for creating all the surfaces for the nurbs version. If you just take the top surface and convert it from nurbs to polys you have the top surface of the show as a poly surface.

Once you have that top surface in polygonal form you just have to extrude all the faces straight down. Then I just moved some of the verts back up to form the area between the toe and the heal and also insert a few edge loops.

If you are still confused let me know. I have been having fun playing with camtasia and I will make you a video.

# 9 26-12-2009 , 07:52 AM
Subscriber

For the polygon version I just booleaned the upper cutting surface used for the nurbs version with the surface that formed the foot shape.

The image you refer too was for creating all the surfaces for the nurbs version. If you just take the top surface and convert it from nurbs to polys you have the top surface of the show as a poly surface.

Once you have that top surface in polygonal form you just have to extrude all the faces straight down. Then I just moved some of the verts back up to form the area between the toe and the heal and also insert a few edge loops.

If you are still confused let me know. I have been having fun playing with camtasia and I will make you a video.

thx, would be nice to have a video of this, if it's not to much work for you! thx anyway... 'm confused about what settings i'll best used with the conversion from nurbs to polygons..

# 10 28-12-2009 , 03:05 PM
Subscriber

've tried with the nurbs version,
but i'll stick up at the booleans, it wouldn't work.
so far i've got...

user added image

Last edited by fixme; 28-12-2009 at 03:08 PM.
# 11 28-12-2009 , 03:15 PM

walla....we have an awesome forum...cheers ctbram.

no matter, where i go or what i do, this atmosphere will make me coming back.

user added image

# 12 28-12-2009 , 11:38 PM
I have been playing with a Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper MkII during Christmas break which has me kinda occupied.

I will make a video of the process for making that shoe both in nurbs and polygons within a the next few days.

Cheers,
Rick

# 13 02-01-2010 , 10:21 AM
Subscriber

I have been playing with a Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper MkII during Christmas break which has me kinda occupied.

I will make a video of the process for making that shoe both in nurbs and polygons within a the next few days.

Cheers,
Rick

thx Rick... look forward to it!

# 14 28-03-2010 , 10:11 AM
Subscriber

Cheers,
Rick

hi

still looking for it user added image
if you have some time...
look at my new thread
https://srv01.simply3dworld.com/showt...threadid=33932

# 15 28-03-2010 , 03:27 PM
Doh my bad. I had a major disk crash. I had years of work on a 1 TB raid 10 array. One of the striped drives failed and when I tried to rebuild from the other stripe the unit scrambled its meta data and corrupted the other half of the mirror and I ended up losing everything!

I kind of forgot about things after that.

I will get to that video later tonight.