SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / How to combine smoothed polygons with hard/unsmoothed polygons?

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

06-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
wayne123

How to combine smoothed polygons with hard/unsmoothed polygons?
Please, help me! I need this one. If you're confused and didn't understand anything, I just wanna ask how to combine smoothed polygons with a normal polygon? Because when I try to do so, the smoothed polygon(s) reverts to normal(unsmoothed).
06-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #2
stwert
EduSciVis-er

How are you combining them? Mesh > combine?
What kind of smoothing have you done? 3 on keyboard? Try Mesh > smooth to permanently smooth the geo.
Are they going to be connected? If not, do they have to be combined?
07-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
wayne123

Yeah, I combine them using Mesh > Combine. I also smoothed the object using the "3" on the keyboard.
Are you trying to ask me if the 2 objects are going to touch each other? If yes, yes, they're touching each other and yeah, they don't really have to be connected but my problem is I'm want to combine about more than 5 objects into 1 single click and afterwards I'll have to duplicate & modify them a couple of times. So I basically I just want to have them in just one click so I won't worry about leaving behind one piece when I move and modify them as a whole.

EDIT: Oh sorry! I already tried what you've said. I've just realized that "3" on the keyboard and Mesh > Smooth are different. I thought "3" was the shortcut, but it was only a preview. Many thanks! You've added a whole book of knowledge into my head.

Last edited by wayne123; 07-02-2012 at 01:18 AM.
07-02-2012, 01:50 AM   #4
bullet1968
Lifetime Member

If you want to duplicate you dont have to combine them...all you need to do is GROUP them mate. Then when you wish to move etc you select the group in the outliner...lot easier.

cheers bullet

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes