Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 11-12-2007 , 03:35 AM

Maxwell 1.6

Hey Guys

Anyone using this yet? Was wondering how it deals with displacments, is it easy/ a pain?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 2 11-12-2007 , 06:38 AM
Subscriber
Yes, I have and it works quite well with displacements. Here is one with the sidewall if the tire displaced and the tread is modeled.

Attached Thumbnails

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 3 11-12-2007 , 06:43 AM
Subscriber
And you ask if it was easy. Yes, very easy. Just keep the numbers low on it as they work very well.

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 4 11-12-2007 , 09:37 AM
Do the render times go up a lot adding the displacments?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 11-12-2007 , 11:46 AM
Subscriber
No, I was surprised. It takes abit longer to compute before it renders. But nothing really that bad.

It slow about maybe 5 or 6%. that is just a guess. But certinaly not anything to keep you from using it. A few controls that look nice in the Displacement node you just add. I haven't messed with them much as yet.

At least that is my experience so far. Had a very nice displacement map to work with and I need to consider that may have helped.