Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 29-06-2009 , 10:20 PM
Subscriber

Maya Layout?

Ok, I really want to learn Maya (I've just finished a foundation course in multimedia and I intend to start a course on 3D Rendering and Animation after a gap year). I want to teach myself as much stuff as possible during this year.

I have already done the free tutorials from the site and yesterday I bought the GI-Remastered tutorial..I've looked over the footage and noticed that his menus are set out differently to mine. He seems to have a menu set called "Modeling" with his polytools and MJpolytools displayed with it. I can't find these menus on my version of Maya. He is using Maya 6 and I am using 8.5, so I'm wondering if this could be the reason?

I really want to get my layout matching his as close as possible so I have an easier time following what he is doing. Can someone help me out? Sorry if this is worded badly.

# 2 29-06-2009 , 10:30 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
The modeling menu set has ben divided into polygons and surfaces
thats pretty much the only change, theres nothing you can do about it really but you will never need the tools that are in the different ones at the same time anyway

# 3 29-06-2009 , 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
Or you can make your own menu set, I know I did. Just hit 'customize', its right there in the menu set drop down, make a new set and drop all the menus you need into it.

- Genny
# 4 30-06-2009 , 12:26 AM
and im not sure if he mentions it in the tut bu mjpolytools does not arrive with maya its a download/script the someone made google it and you should find it easily enough