Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 76 24-06-2010 , 01:05 AM
lol, I hear you bullet1968. There are several sites where you can get trees and stuff but I prefer to model my own, that way I can get the look that I want. The more control I have, the better I like it.

However, if I was going to just do a single still render, I would definitely consider using someone elses tree/shrubbery models. Or even use the paint brush trees and convert to poly's.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 77 24-06-2010 , 01:49 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL I downloaded a Mango tree (yes I have 2 in my backyard..bloody beauties) and when I went for the smooth Maya crapped itself...had a coronary...aneurism...stroke...death. It must have had lots of poly's (no I didnt look first..bahaha). It was a case of going to the loo..doing your thing (you know reading the paper) and THEN realising there wasnt any MUD roll in there and all the family had gone out!!!! So my poor Maya doesnt like the modelled trees yet.

But well done mate...dont you forget my beer please.....please???? huh?? awwww c'mon mate. An Aussie without a beer is like an Inuit without an Igloo!!!

Keep up the bloody outstanding work man

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 78 24-06-2010 , 03:03 AM
Sorry, no beers mate user added image.

Cloud test. I don't have Maya unlimited so I don't have fluids to make clouds. So, I made this cloud from a single sphere.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 79 24-06-2010 , 05:13 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
wow hope you have lots of ram for the final scene on my pc maya just crashes when i get to 5million poly

# 80 24-06-2010 , 02:21 PM

Drinking Fountain 1

My computer is even worse. It crashes around 1 to 1.5mil polys. Since my trees are particle trees, I can have hundreds of trees in my scene without any issues. Also, I'll be using instancing alot too so I should be ok. I plan on getting a better computer in the next 1-2 years so I don't think I'll have any problems.

Drinking Fountain 1.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 81 25-06-2010 , 08:09 PM

Small Park

Working on a small park

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 82 25-06-2010 , 11:00 PM
Unless someone can think of anything to make the park better, I think I'm done with it for now.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 83 25-06-2010 , 11:09 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
hey great job are you using physical sun and sky if so check out gennys script it should help abit with this

# 84 25-06-2010 , 11:10 PM
EduSciVis-er
Stellar man!
The only thing that I can see (and it's nitpicky for sure) is that your small tree looks scaled, since there's the same number of leaves, just smaller and denser. Loosen them up a bit and increase the size a bit on the smaller tree maybe, if it's not too hard, and maybe change up the trunk style if you're going for two actually different types of trees.

# 85 25-06-2010 , 11:24 PM
@ murambi: Thanks, and no, i'm just using a directional light only, nothing fancy at the moment. I won't really get into detailed renders until the project is completely finished.

@ stwert: rofl, I was wondering if anyone would notice that. For the moment it is scaled, I was just to anxious to finish other stuff to go back and redo the tree. All the tree trunks are mainly stand ins right now. Eventually, I'll sit down and model several different ones but not anytime soon. I agree though, I should fix that small tree so that the leaves are bigger and possibly different. Thx m8.

P.S. It might be several days before I add anymore updates as I'm working on the layout of everything. ie. how the community, town, streets, etc will be laid out. It's turning out to be a real challenge...and I thought it would be simple.

Exceed Expectations!
# 86 25-06-2010 , 11:28 PM
Lifetime Member
Looks bloody good mate...and yes stwert you are being picky...LOL jokin. It does need pruning Perfecto.

MATE!!! I dig the road and kerb profile!!!! As I do that for a living it looks bloody good!!!! The only thing (now Im being picky...LOL) is the asphalt is usually flush (same level) as the kerb and there isnt a rollover. Our Kerbs normally go down first, then they asphalt up to them (there are all diff kinds).

That kerb we dont have in Perth but in Brisbane they do..its called channel kerb. It goes down..then asphalt and you normally dont see anything but a neat flush join. Might be different ( Im sure) in your part of the world.

Other than that maybe a tricycle or a coloured ball or 3 lying around to make it look alive?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 87 25-06-2010 , 11:43 PM
Lifetime Member
If you want plans of estate layouts I can give you some mate...I do it for a living remember?

Probably not American is they are Aussie subdivisions (estates) but it will give you a leg up

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 88 25-06-2010 , 11:53 PM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 26-06-2010 at 12:06 AM.
# 89 26-06-2010 , 01:14 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
It looks really nice, im excited to see more.

# 90 26-06-2010 , 01:25 AM
Wow, thanks for the tips bullet1968, much appreciated. Good info on the kerbs. I can just raise the roads up to make it more believeable. I also checked out the estates and that's a big help. It will make designing the layout much easier for me. I was looking at google maps for layouts but your dwg's were much easier.

P.S. As a perfectionist, I like nit picky so if anyone suggests something that I feel will help improve things, I'm all for it.

Hi Ozgalis, I'm glad you're liking it so far. I get motivated even more when people like you get excited too, thx.

Exceed Expectations!