Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 30-05-2012 , 11:07 AM
The Nurb Herd
we have a large render farm and i use renderman user added image

# 17 30-05-2012 , 11:10 AM
showoff :< I do love how communities like this bring all sorts together.

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 18 30-05-2012 , 01:17 PM
Thanks. Here's what Vray MB settings panel looks like.

[URL="[URL="user added image"]

The bias is set to 0 so you'd think it would be a safe setting, but it was preemptive, as I said I didn't touch em so they could be tweaked to work I'm sure.
The post MB looked a lot better anyway.

Last edited by djwaterman; 30-05-2012 at 01:19 PM.
# 19 30-05-2012 , 01:39 PM
The Nurb Herd

showoff :< I do love how communities like this bring all sorts together.

not sure how to take that.

you get all sorts here, but you are probably the first producer. :/

# 20 30-05-2012 , 06:17 PM
Take it as professional jealousy user added image i.e. I end up taking a ton of annoying shortcuts and leave the work unfinished, often because of hardware bottleneck. I'm sure its the same w/ a renderfarm, but I'm guessing you get to make a rounded square; I cut so many corners it becomes a circle!

I forgot I labeled myself a "producer" all those years ago whatever that means. Right now I co-run a youtube channel that is making some gains in popularity (we just crossed 6k subscribers and 1.4 million views), so that's sort of like a producer?

@djwaterman bias is probably the setting we're looking for. As a test, i'd be interested to see what a negative value would generate, but only if you've got time to be interested in silliness like that. I'm glad the post blur is working for you!

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 21 30-05-2012 , 06:58 PM

I cut so many corners it becomes a circle!

For instance, I just had to render in 720 despite finishing in 1080 because I needed to shave another 15 s off the per-frame render. user added image

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 22 01-06-2012 , 04:36 PM
Yeah thanks again. My friend had a link to this thread and was able to read all the input and got it all working nice, he sent me a test and it was rock solid with Vray MB. I'll find out his settings next week.

# 23 08-10-2012 , 05:06 AM
Hi,

just wondering if anyone has new news on this issue?

I have also been having this issue using latest vray for Max 2012. We have cameras tracking well but the motion blur interpolation is creating an offset in the position of the geo rendered through the camera ( we always track center motion blur btw)! This is verified by the fact the non motion blur renders are tracking perfectly. Normally, the cameras film at a 180 degree shutter value (as was the case in our footage) and our shutter angle values in vray are:

Vray phsyical camera
shutter angle 180
shutter offset -90
(this is what they are at work in Max) not sure why the -90 offset value
Testing vray for maya at home you can't even enter negative offset values..

# 24 08-10-2012 , 05:50 AM
If shutter offset is already -90 you shouldn't have an issue entering a negative. That's the value you're talking about, right? Or is this a comparison of your work workstation vs your home one? where the work one is set to -90 but the home one can't go negative?

Either way, your issue is almost certainly the same as the OP: adjusting the shutter offset to match the footage. Play around till it looks right. You should be able to tell by individual low quality renders. Just IPR an object with a medium amount of motion and change the setting till the blur locks into place. I think.

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer