Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 25-01-2005 , 05:59 AM
Subscriber

My First Dog after the cartoon video tut

Hi there all,
Here is my first try on modeling a cartoon dog. I have previously did the cartoon dog video tutorial so I got the basic concept of the procedures with modeling with NURBS.

Before I convert these body parts into polys, I was wondering if you guys could help me out with your opinions and critics since I am not using any references. Reasons for this is because I have tried searching on google as well as searching and posted in the SimplyMaya forum looking for any one who would know of any references. Though I haven't been a success on finding anything.

In my opionion I don't like the legs and the body so much in front view as much as I do in the side view. In addition the arms look more like human arms. Though I did this on purpose because I really don't know what cartoon dogs arms look like, however if any of you guys have some pointers on that as well, I'd rather have more of a cartoon dog arms then human arms. As for the reason there is no hands, this is because I will be using the sub-d tutorial that comes with Maya which in my opion it will be easier to do in sub-d then in NURBS. Other than that I could use some crits please.

...and btw my image may appear big to you, but it is only 640x278 and 7.84Kb in size which this includes all three views as one image.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 25-01-2005 , 01:52 PM
Subscriber

What have I done wrong in this forum?

Hi,
I like to know what have I done to deserve that in the last three post no one would reply. I can understand asking questions in the other sections of this bulletin board not being answered because maybe it already has been answered or they are not posting topics that are not in interest to you or your not sure what the person is truely asking, but this is the area where you post your comments and help others with what needs fixing etc. It's not rocket sicience.

I thought by giving you guys some ideas to start with we could get a topic going and help a newbie out. I know that there are areas of my dog that needs work on but I can't figure out what is wrong. Should the body have more of a curve look in the front view? And how should I do the arms.

If your not going to help me by posting where I could get some dog pictures then could I at least get some help on how the body and the arms suppose to look and do you think that the legs are postioned wrong? If so where should they be placed?

Don't worry I won't bite if you think your being to harsh. In fact I think your being more harsh when you don't comment at all then it is to help out with your opinion(s).

# 3 25-01-2005 , 02:18 PM
Subscriber

dont worry

hey junkyBob dont worry, you have only had 18 people view your thread so far, some one will evently post,

anyway as for the other stuff, he is a cartoon dog proportions dont matter, why dont you sketch something out first then use that as a guide.

good luck.

Daeuser added image

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 4 25-01-2005 , 03:33 PM
Subscriber

Re: dont worry

Originally posted by dae
hey junkyBob dont worry, you have only had 18 people view your thread so far, some one will evently post,

anyway as for the other stuff, he is a cartoon dog proportions dont matter, why dont you sketch something out first then use that as a guide.

good luck.

Daeuser added image

Hey thanks for the support.
... and no I don't sketch. I suck at it. Though I am usually pretty good in modeling that is when I have a good reference of what I am looking for.

... especially when it comes to modeling cars. But doing a dog seems harder to find.

# 5 25-01-2005 , 05:10 PM
The mouth is a bit weird, it's attached to the neck, also the legs are a bit funny.. they look to wide, from the side view user added image

# 6 25-01-2005 , 07:51 PM
Subscriber
hey junkyBob if you are still having trouble with dimensions, you could try these kind of proportions.

Daeuser added image

Attached Thumbnails

René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 7 26-01-2005 , 12:39 AM
Subscriber

Yeah thats the ticket

originally posted by pixelsoul

The mouth is a bit weird, it's attached to the neck, also the legs are a bit funny.. they look to wide, from the side view

Pixelsoul,
As to the mouth, that is one area I was having troubles with. What I was tring to do was to create a dog sort of like snoopy. Technically though it was really hard considering that snoopy doesn't truely show off his mouth except for times when he is angry or sad and his mouth is wide open. Though by looking at some pictures of snoopy I noticed that the buttom of the jaw is appart of the neck. Though I could not really get the concept.

As to the leg looking to wide from the side view, are saying that they should look more cylindrical looking?

Dae,
Thanks man you saved my day. You wouldn't happen to have the front view of this dog would ya?

# 8 26-01-2005 , 01:07 AM
the first thing i noticed about the front few is how thing the legs are. it looks like you only modified the side view and not the front view. since its sort of a humanoid think of human legs, are they really that far apart? and are the flat from the front view?

and as for people not replying, i agree with dae sometimes it takes a while. ive posted updates sometimes before people replied (not to trash talk Simply maya) just not everyone who can offer advice has the free time to post and view the forums a lot. and finally SM is international so if you post in the morning in america, someone in the UK may not reply until the next morning their time.

# 9 26-01-2005 , 09:07 AM
Subscriber
I dont have any front view, just this, haven't had time to sketch a front view.

Daeuser added image

René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk