Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 18-08-2004 , 12:25 AM

Making a 'Whiteout' scene

Hi everyone, I have a questions concerning what I have dubbed as a 'whiteout' scene. It's basically where you have a white background/white floor and your object casts simple shadows. It's very minamalistic and I really like the way it looks but I'm having a lot of trouble replicating it in maya. I've tried using a poly plane with lambert set to white, but that doesnt give me the right results. even with Final gather it's still pretty dark. Anyone have the inside scoop on how to do this?

Edit: Almost forgot a link to what I'm talking about

Whiteout Scene

# 2 18-08-2004 , 01:31 AM
I'm still very much a newbie, but ... what I would do would be mess with the incandescence setting in the COMMON MATERIAL ATTRIBUTES section of the attribute editor. Maybe render it using FINAL GATHER with no lights and a white, incandescent dome over the top of the scene.

I'm curious of what other people think. Its a cool look.

Dave

# 3 18-08-2004 , 01:35 AM
Technical Director
Haha. Very funny dude!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 18-08-2004 , 04:03 AM
Subscriber
the camera you are rendering with (persp i assume) in the attribute editor there is an environment tab, set it to white.
create a light (directional) and set the intensity to a low value (i.e. .01 ) then turn on FG in the render globals, leave it at defaul, or lower it, based on what u are rendering, and u should get a result similar to this\
user added image

Last edited by vladimirjp; 18-08-2004 at 04:06 AM.
# 5 19-08-2004 , 12:46 PM
Thanks for the help Vlad, but when I set my enviroment tab to full white it seems to be adding too much light to my scene. All my textures have huge highlights on them and the model is hard to see. Any way of toning this down without turning down the color tab under enviroment settings?

# 6 20-08-2004 , 05:50 PM
Hey,

Like this?

https://www.digitalplanetdesign.com/i...nt=dpd&media=4
or
https://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=281290

Actually, I have a whiter clock one that isn't online, but it basically was just that scene with the intensities up a bit. Just 1 directional with shadows off, and two spotlights with shadows on. Depth shadows, with the filter on 5.

You can't use incandescence because it cancels out the shadow. You can't assign a light to just the bg, because of the same. Try upping the diffuse on the bg to 1, so it displays all the light it is receiving.

sjlocke

# 7 20-08-2004 , 09:09 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by vladimirjp
... then turn on FG in the render globals, leave it at defaul, or lower it, based on what u are rendering, and u should get a result similar to this\
user added image [/B]

Whats the FG thing you talk about? Cant find it in the menus...

# 8 20-08-2004 , 11:33 PM
Subscriber
in the mental ray render globals. Final gather tab. [fg]
an example of a similar render i did...
user added image

# 9 20-08-2004 , 11:40 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Vlad, I am testing that thing right now... Seems like render time is much slower...

I really need to replace this laptop by a G5... :bored:

# 10 21-08-2004 , 01:24 PM
Subscriber

didnt work...

He Vlad,

I did as you said and my render is way too white as you can see. I set the light to an intensity of 0,01 and didnt change anything in the FG. The material of the dog is a basic lambert.

Anything else to do???

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 21-08-2004 , 01:43 PM
Subscriber
lower the fg rays to 300-400 and increase the filter size to 2

and put a plane under the dog and assign it a new lambert and give it a small diffuse and make the color white.
make sure the light intensity is set to a really small value, like .001

# 12 22-08-2004 , 06:05 AM
Heres what I was talking about

I rendered this using FINALGATHER with a poly plane for a backdrop with incandescence turned all the way up and a poly ground plane with the incandescence turned up slightly. Although you can light the scene with an incandescent plane from above I took Vlads advice and used a directional light and softened the shadow settings. Lighting it with a incandescent plane works fine but you get stronger shadows using an actual light.

user added image

Dave

# 13 24-08-2004 , 07:03 PM
Hi,

Could you link to a file with those reflective balls? I have a similar scene, but my reflective objects keep getting whited out.

sjlocke

www.digitalplanetdesign.com
# 14 24-08-2004 , 10:43 PM
You mean a scene file? I think I just rendered this scene and didn't save it which I guess was kinda stupid of me. I'll check my files and if I can't find it I'll do it again and post a link.

I don't think this is how the penguin render was done 'cause the shadows in it are VERY dark directly under the figures, but its close. I'd be interested to see any other renders people can come up with to mimic this look. But then, of course, there is always Photoshop!

Any other examples, Vlad?

Dave

# 15 25-08-2004 , 05:44 AM
Subscriber
hello,

what if you are using a pre mental ray edition of maya? in the rendering globals there is no fg tab, does anyone have any sollutions to this? thanks,

Mat.