Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 22-12-2004 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber

texturing

hi, i was wandering what would be the best way to texture this, i have tried automatic maping but for some reason it puts the polys on the uv editor at an angle?? is there any way to make them all inline ( |||||||| instead of /\/\/\/\/\/\) another question is, if i have a simply cube, why does it lay the polys out like below:

 
 
 

instead of in a cross formation?

thanks for any help.

matt

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 25-12-2004 , 08:31 AM
Subscriber
Hi there.. Its hard to understand what your question is in some of it i think, that why no one has answered.. With the automatic mapping, i wouldnt use for the house, you would be better of useing planar. Apply the texture you want for the house. The select all the faces on one side, and the add your planar map. Then just adjust it and resize it until it looks correct.. With automatic mapping isnt too bad if your useing programs like Deep Paint, and paint your textures straight on. Look around on the net. Theres some could tuts on planar mapping. Try mckinelys site.. He has some on there i think.
As for the other questions, try rewording it, and post again.

There's nothing normal about normals. In FACT i think the are abnormal.
# 3 25-12-2004 , 10:36 AM
Subscriber
thanks, i shall try planar mapping. i was originally trying to say: is there a way to move the polys in the uv map? without changing the actual geometry of the object.

Matt