Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 02-11-2005 , 03:57 PM
Subscriber

To nurb or go straight to poly? That is the question.

Hi guys,

fairly new to this, so bear with me.
I have been folowing the tutorials by Kurt, and he does his models first with nurbs and then goes to poly. Lokks good and works fine.
But some professionals I know say to me: go straight to poly!
Don't bother with the nurbs at all.
This confuses me, because I find modeling first with nubs gives me a better control with the shape.

????

Best

Oli

# 2 02-11-2005 , 05:28 PM
You just do what your comfortable with really. Most folks have tried various methods and found one that they prefer. Kurt's is nurbs for fleshing out then on to poly and sub-d for the details. Some people prefer poly box modeling...others like to build models poly by poly. I prefer the latter two for most modeling, using poly proxy mode so I can have the rough poly and smoothed version side by side for error-checking.

NURBS are cool because they already have their UV coordinates and are very useful/quick for certain things because of their surface tools. Use whatever gets the job done quicker and what you find easier to work with. My .02.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 3 03-11-2005 , 09:54 AM
Subscriber
OK! Thanks for this reply. Quick and to the point.
I'm finding this site very useful!

Bye for now.

Oli