Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 14-08-2008 , 09:38 AM

Wire frame texture problem

Ive just started with learning UV mapping and have a problem, when i press 6 to view textures in the viewport, after creating a map and making a blinn shader, i only see that the wireframe has been textured and not fully textured (image below).
How can i fix this?

user added image

# 2 14-08-2008 , 01:25 PM
Hi,

this can happen when you assign a texture that has an alpha channel, and the alpha channel contains the uv map. The alpha channel is automatically being assigned to transparency, so only the uv lines are opaque.

Just go to the material, right click on the transparency attribute, and break the connection and it should look fine.

cheers

gubar

# 3 14-08-2008 , 01:34 PM
Thanks a lot mate.
Simple answer

# 4 14-08-2008 , 01:39 PM
No problem, did it work though?

gubar

# 5 14-08-2008 , 01:50 PM
Yeah it did but i cant really see shadows it casts on itself, its supposed to be a domino so its black but only the spots show up i cant see any detail on the thing itself.

user added image

# 6 14-08-2008 , 02:20 PM
Subscriber
that's a lot of edges for something that's flat

but anywho,

is your texture pure black other than the white parts? is the texture plugged into the colour attribute of the material?

what detail should we be seeing?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 14-08-2008 , 02:31 PM
It's all right now i found a solution. The shader was a lambert before so i changed it to blinn and gave it a slight reflectivity (0.01) and that gave me the look i wanted showing the ridges.

Thanks for your help anyway. :attn:

user added image

# 8 14-08-2008 , 02:48 PM
other than playing with the lighting to show the edges better, a really easy way, is to bevel the edges.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 9 14-08-2008 , 02:49 PM
Bevel which edges? and for what effect?

# 10 14-08-2008 , 03:07 PM
Subscriber
the bevel makes the edges rounder by adding in more geometry

the effect is that the edge of an object wont look so sharp, nothing has sharp edges other than things that are intended to cut or pierce... or so the rumour says

the edges Perfecto suggested you bevel are the edges that make sharp corners

around the outside and the edges around the depressions

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 11 15-08-2008 , 08:38 AM
Oh right i see what you mean, but this was just a simple shape to test what ive learned of UV mapping so far.

# 12 20-08-2008 , 12:35 AM
Chirone was exactly right about explaining what I meant about beveling the edges.

If you render an object and find that an edge blends into the object so that you can't see the edge, adding a bevel can make the edge stand out because the edge can now reflect the lighting (i'll post an example for you when I get off work). But as you said Phizzon, since you were just doing the object for UV texturing purposes, yeah...not necessary.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 13 21-08-2008 , 12:14 AM
oops, i forgot to post example for you. Here it is, as you can see a bevel can make the edges stand out much better.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!