Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-07-2010 , 02:34 PM

Tornado

Hey guys,

I'm just starting a little excercise to make a tornado/twister and thought I would post up the work in progerss as I go about creating the rig and effect.

I'm going to use particles for this with some expressions to control everything.

# 2 15-07-2010 , 03:28 PM
Just made the main funnel for the tornado, added a blend shape to control the funnel and a latice to defoem the shape.

Attached Thumbnails

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 15-07-2010 , 04:17 PM
Added particles onto the surface and started on the rotation.

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 15-07-2010 , 04:17 PM
EduSciVis-er
Cool, looking forward to seeing some particles flying around.

# 5 15-07-2010 , 04:28 PM
The thin red line
Does look like a good start.............dave

# 6 15-07-2010 , 04:54 PM
Subscriber
Great start Steve, this shall be fun to watch user added image

# 7 15-07-2010 , 07:39 PM
Cheers Guys,

I've made it so the funnel spins slower at the edges and faster in the centre now, hopefully you can see it in the gif.

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 15-07-2010 , 08:07 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
good work so far but i think this can be done in after effects with the trapcode particular effect with less rendering time and more control or im i assuming too much user added image

# 9 15-07-2010 , 09:19 PM
Subscriber
is that particles emitting from the surface?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 10 16-07-2010 , 05:45 AM
Lifetime Member
That looks good mate!!! wow cant wait for more. I assume its forming and about to touch down...then of course wreaking havoc???

I dig it man....more to learn for this little black duck.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 11 16-07-2010 , 06:34 AM

Originally posted by murambi
good work so far but i think this can be done in after effects with the trapcode particular effect with less rendering time and more control or im i assuming too much user added image

I really really doubt that you can get more control in after effects with a 3D effect than you can in Maya with its partricles and expressions, which is what I'm using. Could you do little things like make the particles at the center spinn faster thant the outside?

Also I might link the particles to fluids for the final look and I doubt that the level of control in trapcode would let you do something like that.

As its full3D I can then also use it for whatever I need. I might get some footate, track it, load it in with some demolition objets then comp it using Toxic to give it that a go, all of which I probably would strugle with in AE.

Granted rendering time would be less but I know that I can get it looking good in Maya.

Originally posted by Chirone
is that particles emitting from the surface?

Hi Chirone,

Yes they are emmitted onto the funnels surface before any movement and then set as an intital state.

# 12 16-07-2010 , 10:53 AM
Head of 3d Admedia

I really really doubt that you can get more control in after effects with a 3D effect than you can in Maya with its partricles and expressions, which is what I'm using. Could you do little things like make the particles at the center spinn faster thant the outside?

yup it would be a simple matter of duplicating the effect changing the velocity speed also abit of playing around with the turbulance and air resistance options but hey there is more than one way to skin a cat user added image

# 13 16-07-2010 , 11:21 AM
yup your right, I could have simply used particles and a volume curve field, or fluids and used a vol curve, or a vortex, or even got some stock footage and comped it, but thats not the point.

I also dont have trapcode which pretty much rules it out completly.

Thing is I'm not using any dynamics, its all scripted to have ubercontrol over everything, so no silly particles escaping and not doing what I want.

Ive added some ground particles to the mix.

Attached Images

# 14 16-07-2010 , 12:13 PM
Lifetime Member
Are you doing this as a one off gster???

If your are doing a scene are you going for realism or fun??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 15 16-07-2010 , 12:27 PM
I'm putting some demo stuff together but I think once its all down I will incorporate it into some footage, I'll haveto go get some first then track it.

Its more of an excrecise in setting up the rig. Once its done I can import it into anything and adjust the animation timings, deformers etc to fit the scene.